nennie dead or alive

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by ashley100, 21 Jun 2010.

1. ashley100

ashley100

i just got home from work and found my white nenie sucked up on my power head
    i removed him and put him in my sump i dont know how long he was stuck for and now he is all shriveled up at the bottom and has not opened or any thing do you think he will die :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

If the nennie was white then it was already on its way out. Did any of the tentacles get chopped up by the pump?

4. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

THE nennie was or is a white nennie with purple tips and im not sure if any tentacles got broken off is it a bad thing he was sucked up against the guard

5. Manic

Manic Moderator

A white nennie is a bleached nennie. Which means it was already unhealthy. I see them for sale all the time.

6. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

so i got riped off then is there still away to save him

7. Manic

Manic Moderator

Yip, there is no such thing as a white anemone. Is it sticking to a rock in the sump or is it just floating around?

8. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

it never ever stuck to anything my other to are cool they are a pinkish color.
    and it is still all slivered up

9. Anemone

Anemone

Can you post a pic? Anemones often survive powerhead injuries.

How many anemones do you have? What species? Can you post a pic of the other anemones too? Mixing anemones is not a good idea.

10. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

k cool my anemone looks like it is ok i will post picks tomorrow coz i dont even know species they are and help will be appreciated

11. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

HEY sorry i toke so long i ran out of mbs and i am battling to up load the pics on this thread
    but if you look in the gallery they are the first pics there and my white nennie still lives and has clung on a rock

12. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Sounding good bud, given good water conditions, nennies usually perk up again, mine got caught in a seio 4400 pump a while back but he fully recovered in a week, feeding might help but ask brenda(anemone)

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Here are your pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Anemone

Anemone

It’s definitely bleached, and also hungry. Before you try to feed it, let me know if there is any damage to the mouth. I can’t see any definite bleaching in the other two, but they are also looking a bit hungry.

Also give us a complete list of your water parameters, equipment, tank size, age of system, tank mates, feeding schedule, amounts of food for each feeding, and type of foods.

You may want to consider finding new homes for two of the anemones. It’s not a good idea to have more than one anemone in one system, unless they are clones.

15. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

water
    nitrates (no3)is 25mg/l(10mm)
    phosphat (po4)is 0,1mg/l (10mm)
    ph is 8.3
    alkalinity is 4meq/l
    salinity 1.022
    temp 25.5 avg

thats the only test kits i have should i have any other ones
    my tank has been going for exactly one year this month, i only added fish and corals last month.
    the tank is one of those imported ones with the filter system built on top, that is 1.2m long and 200mm wide. i change the filters weakly but i do half a weak tank holds 300L with sump. the tank is 1.2m long 500mm high and 450mm width.

lights
    1x 30wat sylvania coralstar 3ft
    2x 30wat triplus 3ft
    1x 18wat sera blue sky royal 2ft
    1x 18wat sera deap sea 2ft

i feed 1-2 times a day i fist put a bit in and see their response normally twice a day .one day i feed frozen brim shrimp and next day kent platinum pellets and once a weak kent zooplex i was told that will do for the nennies.

when i bought the nennies they were in the same tank should i still make a plan for them.

what should i know
    thanks

16. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

oh yes thanks viper for posting my picks shot man.

17. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

No problem. :)

Couple of things I can see...

Your Nitrates are a bit too high, although not dangerously high at the moment you will need to try and get them down to about 5.

Your Salinity is far too low for anemone's, you need to get that up to 1.026

Your Lighting is severely inadequate to keep those types of anemone's alive, I would recommend a minimum of 150w MH's, but Brenda would be better to advise on this.

18. Anemone

Anemone

I agree.

In addition, you are not feeding sufficient food. Meaty foods only. Brine is not the best option. Try some mysis or krill, or something similar.

Yes, I would look for new homes for two, even though they were kept together when you got them.

19. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

So, out of curiosity, how does everyone feel about 'rescuing' nennies from the LFS when you see the poor things all bleached and thrown into the same tank? Bad idea? I see this all the time and after reading this forum I now realize how sick they really are... I just feel horrible leaving them there.

20. Anemone

Anemone

Bad idea generally. We need to force the LFS into providing them with an appropriate environment, get healthy livestock, and be familiar with the animals they are keeping.

However, if someone is experienced with anemones and the anemone isn't too far gone I would usually say go for it.

It is very difficult for a LFS to get perfectly healthy anemones that have been shipped. Shipping is horrible on anemones.

I understand feeling horrible, but if you think about it, you are just making room for another anemone in poor health to arrive.

Recent Posts