Need quick SPS growth

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am thinking about getting a few SPS frags. I want them to grow as quick as possible onto the rocks i attach them.

Tell me how!!!

Many people have the opportunity to see the magnificent tanks managed with this method and many others are interested in learning about it. The creator of this method was Maurizio Manili, who thanks to the collaboration with other passionate reefers, succeeded to bring the method to its current point. Today, the BC method was inherited from Valerio Pacetti, the owner of the actual Blu Coral shop in Rome, and ex-associate of Maurizio Manili, who as of now improved the old consolidated method with a few modifications. This article will talk about how the method functions and how to succeed in augmenting the growth of corals. First two big distinctions must be made: if you want to manage a tank by utilizing the simple “pappone” (coral food) or if you want to follow the BC method exactly to the letter. The base of both systems of management is the same and involves: the classic Berlin Method, good water chemistry, and the pappone feedings.

Classic Berlin Method:

The Berlin Method is characterized by strong lighting, strong water movement, an efficient skimmer, and live rock.

Water Chemistry:

You must give particular attention to this aspect, which leads to positive results for all types of management of the BC method. In particular, the parameters of the water are maintained in concentrations that are elevated in respect to parameters that are successful in nature: Magnesium 1500 mg/L, Calcium 500 mg/L, Strontium 16-30 mg/L, Carbonate Hardness (dkH) 12-14 mg/L, Iodine 0.06 mg/L, and nutrients near zero. This allows the corals at any moment to have the necessary materials for constructing their skeletons and therefore they have a sort of “reserve” of chemical elements.

Pappone:

This is the difference that determines the distinction between who follows the method to the letter or instead who utilizes only some parts. However in general, the pappone is identical in both of the methods, and is prepared in this way: you use mollusks that are strictly fresh. In general, you use 5 mussels, 5 clams, 5 shrimp, and 5 oysters. You put all of these into a container (no shells, just meat), then add 250 mL of RO water, then add 1 tablespoon of sugar, however some also use fructose. Then you blend everything vigorously until the whole mixture reaches the consistency of cream. At this point is the distinction between who uses the method to the letter and who instead does not. In the BC method, the pappone is enriched in respect to the original recipe, with the polypeptide hormone somatropin or GH. In general, you use about 1.33 mg of somatropin, which corresponds to the 4 unit vial. You then mix and prepare the cubes, then put them away in the freezer.

GH, what is it?

GH or Somatropin, is a human polypeptide of small dimensions, that presents a noticeably different structure in different species. It is therefore derived with an elevated biological specificity, in the sense that the GH from one species is in general completely different and therefore inactive in others; in the case of humans, the only one that has any effect is from simian GH (mainly in Rhesus monkeys). Vice-versa, human GH acts only in simians and not in non-primate organisms. The sequence of 191 amino acids is in a linear chain that carries out two fundamentally important actions in humans: the growth of the body, and the regulation of cellular metabolism, specifically that of protein synthesis. To summarize, GH does not act on other mammals, and obviously does not act on invertebrates. This is simply demonstrated by the fact that the hormone in question, in order to be utilized, requires specific receptors on the cellular membrane of the target cell on which it acts. Obviously the corals and other invertebrates do not have these correct receptors, because if they did have them, it would mean that they use GH in the same manner-- an improbable phenomenon.

The Enhanced Growth…

How are you then able to explain the enhanced growth and the increase in metabolism of the corals in conjunction with the increase in calcification?

In experience, this does happen. A few of the more skilled aquarists who utilize this method, had growth of A. Formosa, A. cervicornis, A. nobilis, Montipora sp. , up to 40cm per year. Also M. foliosa, LPS, and soft corals grew in an impressive manner.

I made up my mind about what could be happening in the water. Therefore the precise but short explanation will be following the fruits of my labor and my observations; however that does not mean that is it is the absolute truth. The explanation will be sought for in the typical structural and molecular characteristics of the GH. Being a protein that is small enough, it is very probable that the GH put in the pappone breaks up. This is the point of the discussion. It is not the integral GH that acts directly on the corals, because of the points explained above are very improbable. It likely is based on the GH being broken, which influences the growth and the increased metabolism.
At the time in which we go to feed our corals with pappone, we are in reality adding many amino acids into the water. In fact, when the protein is broken, it is split into many pieces—its amino acid constituents. Therefore the abundance of determined and specified amino acids are involved the increased rate of growth.

This is the only explanation which arose after many different observations. In this way it is effectively possible to explain, from a biological point of view, how the GH is able to influence the corals.

These amino acids that are introduced with the GH are combined with the amino acids that are usually dosed around 2 hours before the pappone feeding, in order to encourage assimilation.

The rest of the components of the pappone (mussels, clams, etc.) go to feed the bacterial cultures, the sponges, and all of the benthic organisms, which thus go to feed the corals. If you succeed in having a situation where you maximize the feeding corals, you then have the possibility of having maximum calcification, seeing that you have an abundance of nutrition and chemical components. This whole discussion obviously does not regard the fish, which are not influenced by the abundance or lack of amino acids present in water; in effect the fish have absolutely normal rates of growth.

In general, one of the aspects that characterize the Blu Coral Method is that after the system stabilizes, you have a reduction of general nutrients that remains near zero, in regards to the phosphates and the nitrates. The whole system helps the intake of amino acids. It is especially important at the beginning for everyone to find the appropriate dose of pappone to administer to the tank. A fundamental rule is to watch your animals and understand how much feeding they need.

I hope to have clarified this subject a little more, because between all methods, this is one of the best methods of managing a reef tank, whether you utilize the GH, or if you take the basics of this method without using the hormone. Good wishes to all the readers of the Magazine and see you soon!

The author of the article, the aquarists mentioned in this article, and reefitalia.net are not responsible for inappropriate use of the hormone; from a legal standpoint, by the use of whoever decides to proceed. We are also not responsible for any negative outcomes to your tank or animals.

Fabio Oggiano aka SiR
(Translated by DarkXerox)

Copyright 2007 ReefItalia.net
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1086412&highlight=blu+coral

happy reading EJ

Dude, when i buy HgH again, it will be for personal use, not for coral feeding

I know i know. I'll read it all now.

Feed them, blast them with light, skim the cr@p outta the system, push up th flow and maintain stable calcium and alk and low nutrients! In a nutshell! Will get back with some more reading on this!

My thoughts were along those lines ivan. Would the feeding of marine snow and brine shrimp suffice?

Brineshrimp have little nutrional value and is to big to be consumed by SPS.

Marinesnow is realy little else than polution in a bottle.

Something like cyclopeze also works much betterl.

High calcium and alk levels will boost growth - the peeps who use this blu coral method run cal levels above 500 and alk of 14-16 :eek:hmy: this in itself will lead to impressive growth-rates.

You need to run a low nutrient system and then AA can be added to feed. Zeo , Korallenzucht , Prodibio , Fauna marin are all possible choices.

Iron and pottasium can be added to tweak colours.

HTH

in my case im happy with the growth rate.but my SPS are just not showing off their colors.

High calcium and alk levels will boost growth
I don't quite agree with the calcium part of the blue coral method, as there is no scientific evidence of calcium levels above 360ppm increase calcification, its more about having the reserve .Fact! The alk part, yes absolutely,fact, the feeding part, absolutely Fact! The hgh part, ...............

For better growth get hold of lights with higher par, such as the iwasaki globes. They have a low kelvin (i.e. yellow appearance) but their par values FAR exceeds most bulbs available. This will be at the expense of the often preffered blue look of the more popular globes and more popular kelvin ratings. This can be overcome by supplimenting with blue flourescents such as t5 or vho bulbs!

Another way to increase growth in acropora species is by increasing the temperature at which your tank is run. It has been scientifically shown that calcification increases with temperature. Upper limits, 30 degree celcius

Increased salinity will also aid in increasing growth, as higher ca and alkalinity is "easier" to maintain. Upper degree 1.027 SG

Increased alk is another way to increase growth rates in corals, so you can push yours up to the high end of acceptable. Upper limit 14dKH

The above methods (except the first) should however come with a stern warning!!!

They should be practiced only by experienced aquarists, who know how to push the limits and have excessive controls and safeguards in place for controlling these limits. As you will be pushing the limits to the upper range of acceptable, (and maybe a tad above) you are constantly dangling on the edge. One small slip, one inaccurate test kit, faulty scale/refractometer or thermostat/chiller and you are in for some severe losses. (been there done that got the rtn shirt, all in the name of research)

Thanks Mekaeel. To get back to the original question, I assume you are new to the sps realm doberman, so rather go with my suggestions in my first reply to your question. Rather first get the keeping of acropora succesfully under the belt before you start experimenting with increased growth and clour. If you provide the conditions in my first post, the frags will attach to the rocks you glue them onto and they will grow. Then start first playing with light exposure to increase colour and gradually work your way towards growth increased growth rates.

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about getting a few SPS frags. I want them to grow as quick as possible onto the rocks i attach them.

Tell me how!!!
Sorry, one question, why the need for the fast growth rate?

why the need for the fast growth rate?

Well asked oh responsible one! ;)

Yeah, fast growth rate is not always a good thing. Look at what happens to steroid junkies few years down the line!!!

Some interesting findings:

Organism Responses to Rapid Change: What Aquaria Tell Us
About Nature by

BRUCE A. CARLSON
(AMER. ZOOL., 39:44-55 (1999) )

The growth forms of corals may change dramatically in aquariums often
making them unrecognizable even to coral taxonomists (Carden Wallace and
John Veron, personal communications).
Corals may also grow in unusual directions, or the polyps may extend well
beyond the corallum (coral taxonomists are often unable to identify aquarium grown corals).
2. The skeletal density of corals in the aquarium may be significantly less than their wild counterparts, and in some circumstances may by so soft that it crumbles when touched...................
A similar test was conducted on specimens
of A. pulchra from Tumon Bay,
Guam. Specimens collected from Tumon
Bay had a density of 1.23 g cc~', but after
six years in captivity at the Waikiki Aquarium,
the cultured coral had a density of 0.81
g cc"1.

Now surely with increased growth rates, this decreased skeletal density will be even more so!

I would think that good flow, lighting with a 6500K MH and some actinics just to get some colour would do the trick. Good feeding with a good brand of food would also help. I agree with the stable parameters.

Alan, its not really particularly fast growth as in size, but more of encrusting the rock that the coral is on. I think it looks a lot better when the coral forms "part" of the rock it is sitting on.

Irie if you look at how that specific hgh works the high Ca levels makes sense, it is about having reserve Ca for the increase in cell activity in this case calcification.

I want to try the blue method but I'm not comfy using the hgh.

Irie if you look at how that specific hgh works the high Ca levels makes sense, it is about having reserve Ca for the increase in cell activity in this case calcification.

I want to try the blue method but I'm not comfy using the hgh.

The one article I read (can't recall if it was the one you posted) suggested a possible mechanism of why HGH stimulated coral growth. The reason is though not because it is a growth hormone (HGH is only effective as a growth hormone in humans and some simian species. Corals and other species of animals do not have the correct binding sites so the hormone can trigger the appropriate resposnes in other organisms).

The reason given is that the amino acids making up the hormone are used by corals - the hormone itself is basically just an expensive source of amino acids. Similar effects can be obtained using glutamic acid, proline and alanine (i think) which trigger the feeding response in corals and get them to feed on the pappone.

Where can one legally obtain glutamic acid and proline?

Back
Top Bottom