Nano tank with Sump

Hey dude, hows the tank doing? You should try get the lighting right ontop of the macros for it to work properly. I also think the sump should be alittle bigger but that depends on allot of things and your pocket ofcourse.

What lighting is on the DT? Try removing your rock and scrubbing off the algea and then reducing light on dt for a while, while keeping the sump lighting on. I think because the nutrients are too much for uptake the algea just blooms again. The phosphate remover might stunt the growth but from what ive seen it only does so much.

kudos on upping the flow. It does help IMO.

sorry I babble allot. Lol

Thanks for the advice silverthorne.

The tank is doing ok, the algae seems to have stopped increasing but hasn't started decreasing yet, probably best for me to give it a few more days.

I think I will increase the size of the sump soon, I will most likely purchase a new pre-drilled 2ft for my DT and turn my current DT into my sump, at least that way I can get rid of the siphon overflow.

The lighting on the DT is 4 24w T5's, 3 10000k's and one blue actinic.

Don't worry about the babbling :) Any help or advice is greatly appreciated

hey silver welcome to masa i dont think ive welcomed you before.

great to see the advice youve been given so far and even better to hear that the algae seems to be slowing down or even stopping, well done there.

I am not sure if youve been asked but are you using RO water for top ups and to mix salt water?

those sand dwelling snails (nassarius sp) often like some meaty foods, how often do you feed them and what?

those two aspects maybe helping fuel the algae growth too

Thanks crispin, I have been meaning to properly introduce myself in the new members section.

The advice has been great, I wish I had have come here in the first place, could have saved a lot of time and money but I suppose that is how we learn :)

I mostly use RO water for top up and weekly water changes, there is the odd occasion that I have had to do a top up with dechlorinated tap water that is run through a normal tap filter. I am planning on buying an RO unit in the next month or so.

I am feeding every second day with reef flakes, should I be feeding more often and/or with different food?

Thanks crispin, I have been meaning to properly introduce myself in the new members section.

The advice has been great, I wish I had have come here in the first place, could have saved a lot of time and money but I suppose that is how we learn :)

I mostly use RO water for top up and weekly water changes, there is the odd occasion that I have had to do a top up with dechlorinated tap water that is run through a normal tap filter. I am planning on buying an RO unit in the next month or so.

I am feeding every second day with reef flakes, should I be feeding more often and/or with different food?
that may well be a source of nutrient for the algae to grow and id suggest trying tio get a RO unit as soon as you can. If youve only done a few top ups with tap water then its shouldnt be a major contributor, but if youve mixed tap water for water changes then you maywell have found a source of nutrient. RO realy is the only stuff to use :)

for the fish you have id say that feeding is fine :) the nasarius snails are meat loving fellas, so you could defrost a mussel, drain the juices off (you def do NOT want those juices in that tank as they are packed with phosphates which the algae will love) and place the meat on the sand neat a snail. its great fun watching them emerge and start to feed. maybe one a week or so, not more as if any is left uneaten it will cause additional water quality problems for you. but they will need some food occasionally :)

Thanks crispin, I will definitely give the mussels a try.

I will be buying an RO unit most likely in August, have a trip to Italy coming up and need every penny for that :)

that may well be a source of nutrient for the algae to grow and id suggest trying tio get a RO unit as soon as you can. If youve only done a few top ups with tap water then its shouldnt be a major contributor, but if youve mixed tap water for water changes then you maywell have found a source of nutrient. RO realy is the only stuff to use :)

for the fish you have id say that feeding is fine :) the nasarius snails are meat loving fellas, so you could defrost a mussel, drain the juices off (you def do NOT want those juices in that tank as they are packed with phosphates which the algae will love) and place the meat on the sand neat a snail. its great fun watching them emerge and start to feed. maybe one a week or so, not more as if any is left uneaten it will cause additional water quality problems for you. but they will need some food occasionally :)

I'l second the tap water leading to algea issues. Even a little bit will cause a bloom of algea. I know, I've learnt the hard way... even now I'm out of RO and the salinity is up a bit, but I wont use tap water.

RO is cheap at your local LFS if you get to know the guys it gets cheaper :biggrin:

Nice! :) Maybe I must go nano for my first marine...mmmm :whistling:

Try and go with the biggest tank space and money will allow. The smaller the tank the more difficult it is to keep your water parameters stable and things can go wrong very very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom