My Non Photosynthetic System (NPS)

Why is your tank looking so bright jaco???

A) I put the light on to get better photos, as it is VERY difficult to take photos under actinics only. Everything gets all blue on you...:p After I take the photo's, it is lights off again.

B) I use slow syncro flash too sometimes.

C) I did not have time to set the levels right on Photoshop, so all looks washed out...:p

I will try and take better photos and repost them JUST for you Lanzo.

Which one, the Acabaria Delicata (pink and purple one)???

He is doing amazing. The only challenge with it, is due to it being so very thin and with those small polyps making it look like snow, detritus packs on it quite quickly, so every second day I have to spray the detritus off with a turkey blaster.

Other than that, it is doing VERY well, and eating well. Feeding is also actually a challenge, as a cyclop-eeze pod is too large for it to consume, so it only eats Marine Snow, Phyto and Zooplankton. :p

Thanks Tiger. Yes, they are actually as far from Anemone's as the Stormers are from being a good Rugby Team...;)

There are a few noticable differences between them, and they are actually classified under a different sub species altogether. Mushrooms are more related to anemones, than tube anemone's are. :p

Yip thats the one....but shouldnt your flow be high over the gorganians?

They love medium to extream flow...think this will sort out the detritus

Yip thats the one....but shouldnt your flow be high over the gorganians?

They love medium to extream flow...think this will sort out the detritus

Yes, Gorgonians do like heavy flow. This specific specimen however, does require medium flow, as it is so delicate. It get's quite good flow in my tank, as it sways two and fro, and this for a stick is quite a bit of flow.

They also like linear flow, which it gets, however detritus still packs on it, but interesting enough, only where some stripping has occured. Where the polyps are hihg in numbers, the gorgonian manages to shed the detritus.

Many other gorgonians with the VERY thick stems require extreme flow, up to 20cm per second flow, which is quite strong. My tank has between 8-15 cm per second flow where my gorgonians are situated.

some nice info..thanks man

Need to come and visit you once the new suncorlas are in place;)

Hey Jaco

Just read through your post, WOW! what a nice setup...your tank is stunning

Guys, just a note to self and others... SunCorals do not like to be host to clownfish... I have given the clown a chance to see weather the SunCoral would get used to it, but because it is not a natural occurance, the SunCoral contracts, this makes feeding almost impossible so the clown has to go.

If you ever plan on keeping SunCoral and clownfish, make sure you have a host for the clowns...

So that clown is not funny anymore...:)

Not at all no... I had a fear that this would happen, but because I try and do anything for my kids, I put it in as my daughter wanted a nemo. I did give him a Kenya Tree, but he just ignored it.

The Kenya Tree is leaving the tank tonight, and so is 95% of my mushrooms. The remainder of my shrooms will go into the sump for filtration, and then the DT will be full NPS (except for the zoa's popping out the rocks)

I will be getting my very first Dendronephthya (Carnation Coral) on Friday, and I must say I am a bit scared of it, but I will do my best to keep it healthy and thriving.

Jaco with your diligence and patience i have no fear that coranation coral will thrive!!

Thanks Dallas. I really hope so. Keeping Dendronephthya REALLY takes a hellova lot out of a reefer. The major problem with them, is that they feed mainly, if not solely, on Phyto Plankton, and they have an abundant supply of it 24/7.

I will feed it Phyto every hour, and experiment with cyclop-eeze too. I am hoping that it takes the cyclop-eeze, but I very much doubt it, as the cyclop-eeze pod's are too big for it to consume.

To buy the right amount of commercial phyto (i.e. Brightwell Aquatics etc) each month to feed this coral will just be too expensive, so I am left with no other option than to culture my own, and I plan on feeding about 1litre of phyto per 24 hours, so I need a good stable culture... Lots of challenges that lies ahead of me here, so I am a bit nervous...

would rotifers be to big?

Yes, they would. Their main food as I said is Phyto, and at night when the zooplankton come out, they are also consumed.

Rotties do fine for the gorgonians, chili's and suncorals, but they are too big for the dendro's.

Back
Top Bottom