My new tank design

Reaction score
ok after my first tank has a major flaw in it, I designed a new tank and sump, and now I need your opinion whether it is fine or not, I can get all the glass for R400, so thats nothing... Ps. Cant use my fone to upload pics, can someone pm me their email addy, and I'll send you the pics to upload them for me... Pss. It was a quick drawing, but good enough...lol... Thanx guys...

here you go;

12804c92154fd2671.jpg

12804c9215621984a.jpg

12804c92157064485.jpg

BTW: I see on your e mail sig why the drawings are so detailed LOL. writing is just a bit small font

ja sorry, it is A2 drawings, so when I plot them they will be more detailed, thanx for the upload... Let me explain, it is a 800Lg x 500Wd x 500h 6mm glass, got an overflow at the back, with two 1" holes in the bottom for gravity feed, got a 1" at the back for a pipe to come through so I can return water again, sump starts on the left with skimmer, then dsb the return pump, is it nesecary for all the bubble traps? i kinda like it tho... Thanx guys, Im such a noob...lol

6mm Is thin dude dont you think, go thicker we live in the valley of glass LOL. PG is on my backdoor basically - hehe.

I got the same size tank and used 6mm, its fine, I got a guy at work who gets the glass for cheap cheap,

if it works for you its fine but here is the calculations

Aquarium glass calculatorTank Water Height (H) (mm):470Tank Length (L) (mm):800Tank Width (W) (mm):500Recommended Safety factor (Sf) :3.8 Recommended Side Glass Thickness at Sf :7.3Maximum Deflection of Glass (mm):0.36 Recommended Bottom Glass Thickness at Sf :10.3Maximum Deflection of Glass (mm):0.27 If side glass thickness is changed to (mm):6then actual safety factor =2.6 If bottom glass thickness is changed to (mm):6then actual safety factor =1.3Aquarium glass calculatorTank Water Height (H) (mm):470Tank Length (L) (mm):800Tank Width (W) (mm):500Recommended Safety factor (Sf) :3.8 Recommended Side Glass Thickness at Sf :7.3Maximum Deflection of Glass (mm):0.36 Recommended Bottom Glass Thickness at Sf :10.3Maximum Deflection of Glass (mm):0.27 If side glass thickness is changed to (mm):12.5then actual safety factor =11.1 If bottom glass thickness is changed to (mm):20then actual safety factor =14.3

Mr G,

I am currently sitting in Australia on business, I am modelling a coal mine flow scenario on my computer and the run time for each scenario is about 2 hours ..... needless to say i am somewhat bored watching a status bar...... My boredom, your gain.... so i started some designs for your tank for you to consider

consider the following as a base case (assuming your dimensions are still 800 x 500 x 500mm

9114c92a5aeb11d8.jpg

the central over low has dimensions of 150 x 200 x 470

Also just a point on the glass thickness ..... using 6mm glass indicates a safety factor of 2.4 for the sides and 1.2 for the base, we generally reccommend a safety factor of about 3.8 which indicates a required thickness of 8mm (calc says 7.5mm but 8mm is the closest) for the sides and 10mm (clac says 10.6,, but IMO 12mm would be an overkill) for the base. If you have children or the tank is likely to be bumped or if the tank is not exactly level, 6mm may be inviting disaster

I have also just started a thread in the beginners section on the various types of overflows you may want to consider while designing your tank, it will depend greatly on where you want the tank to be located as to which option is best for you, have a look here

Types of Overflows, an Illustrated Guide - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Back
Top Bottom