My new mixed reef

FTS Friday

IMG_0399-01.jpeg

Haven't been doing much besides basic glass cleaning lately.

Decided to do a 40% water change today and will be doing a big water change yearly along with bi weekly 20% water changes.

Had the chance to move some stuff around, moved the 3 chalice frags to the right rock at the bottom as they killed some acros and started attacking the Monti it was under, moved some hammers and also some acro frags around.

Some quick pics..
IMG_0795-01.jpeg
IMG_0773-01.jpeg
IMG_0772-01.jpeg
IMG_0769-01.jpeg
IMG_0756-01.jpeg
IMG_0757-01.jpeg
IMG_0763-01.jpeg
IMG_0764-01.jpeg
IMG_0755-01.jpeg
IMG_0754-01.jpeg

Last edited:
I promised to post the good and bad of my reefing journey, so here is one of those bad times.

With the recent flooding that hit kzn, we were left with no water for a week as well as intermittent power for a couple of days. Backup batteries did run the return pump so atleast there was circulation and oxygen. The water situation however meant that I had to use rain water for RO top ups, the one day I did use some purified bottles water I lost 3 fish with some other fish looking in bad condition.

The dirty water combined with direct sunlight caused a massive gha outbreak which now covers everything. I guess this will take some time to sort out.

But all is not lost, there is hope and the cleanup and recovery will start. As we slowly get water back I've managed to make some RO water and used prime just incase. Alot of our local reefers has reached out we are helping each other where we can.

Only way is forward from here..

IMG_20220417_194233.jpg IMG_20220417_194225.jpg

I promised to post the good and bad of my reefing journey, so here is one of those bad times.

With the recent flooding that hit kzn, we were left with no water for a week as well as intermittent power for a couple of days. Backup batteries did run the return pump so atleast there was circulation and oxygen. The water situation however meant that I had to use rain water for RO top ups, the one day I did use some purified bottles water I lost 3 fish with some other fish looking in bad condition.

The dirty water combined with direct sunlight caused a massive gha outbreak which now covers everything. I guess this will take some time to sort out.

But all is not lost, there is hope and the cleanup and recovery will start. As we slowly get water back I've managed to make some RO water and used prime just incase. Alot of our local reefers has reached out we are helping each other where we can.

Only way is forward from here..

IMG_20220417_194233.jpg IMG_20220417_194225.jpg
Sorry for the hard times, glad your house, tank and you at least mad it. All the best with the rebuild.

Hi n3mo, it all sounds so familiar, you're in Ballito, I'm on the other side on the Bluff.

We had no power for two days and also had to rely on battery-operated air pumps. Happy to report that I dodged the bullet, didn't lose any fish or coral.

As for water, we have been without since last week Tuesday and could be for the time being. Fortunately I saved the RO water I was going to use for a water change, so can at least top up. Once that runs out, I was resigned to using the water from the tankers that come around and use Prime, but thankfully my fellow reefers have offered RO water.

All I know is, you quickly realise how precious water is when the taps run dry.

Good luck bud, hope your system recovers quickly.

Thanks Bud

I do keep RO water on hand but because of the previous chloromine issue we had which used to eat RO membranes every 7 months I swithced to making 60L RO eveyr 2 weeks, and last week was the week I would have made and also did water changes.

But in this time we find ways to make things work and win in the end.

Back
Top Bottom