Moving all my livestock over to a new tank! Advice Please!

Reaction score
I've just bought a Boyu TL-550 and want to move everything over from my 24G JBJ Nano Cube.

What is the best way of doing this?

So far i've put in about 60L of SW and matched the SG to that of my tank. Added substrate and put some LR rubble (from the old tank) into the new tank. Any advice please.

I will take substrate over from my existing setup, as well as all the live rock etc.

Can I just use all the old water, and liverock and some of the substrate and add the livestock tomorrow? i.e it's like doing a LARGE water change as 50% of the water will be from old tank and 50% newly made SW.

Was your old tank getting worn out then?:)

Right, here's my two penneth on the subject;-

1, have enough spare water to nearly fill your new tank, as you start moving rock you will fill your old tank water with crap, so remove some before you move anything else.
2, move the liverock, and scape, get it fro tank to tank quickly and you will not suffer die off.
3, move fish and acclimatise (probably not necessary as you will have added most of your old water) deffo acclimatise the shrimp and snails though.

If you are adding more live rock, cycle it in the (now empty) old tank and transer when cycled

Matt, I'd really rather not answer you on this one. In my case I had a sump running for almost 06 months when I just connected to the new tank. I did not loose any livestock (including the Aptaisia and Cyano) and had a very small cycly due to the dead live rock I used. I added the old water from the old display as well as about 1800lt of new water, and moved all the livestock over in the same day (As far as I can recall), but I would not advice it

Wee-Man: :razz: a mate of mine wanted a tank, and couldn't get hold of one like mine, so he said "why don't I buy this bigger one and you have it, then give me yours" I was like "sure, that sounds good" hehe! Couldn't pass up the opportunity of a bigger tank!

Just want to make sure I change everything over properly and avoid problems! Plus this new tank has a skimmer and UV steriliser! :)

jacquesb: I'm going to do the move first, empty tank not that interesting! ;) hehe

Its more a matter of getting the params right now! My old tank has a pH of 8.2, whereas new tank has a pH of 8.6... Not sure on best approach as to make these the same?

Mix up the 2 tank's water a bit, that should level the ph, just do it slowly.

Thanks for the advice Wee-Man :peroni:

Just did a 10L change, will do one again at lunchtime and again this eve. Hopefully the pH will even out :thumbup:

One question:
I cannot acclimate my coral as they are glued to different pieces of LR, if my SG is the same as well as pH and temp, surely i can transfer them straight into the new tank??

One question:
I cannot acclimate my coral as they are glued to different pieces of LR, if my SG is the same as well as pH and temp, surely i can transfer them straight into the new tank??

Then it will be even more important to get both tanks as level with each other as you can, keep swapping water over and the two should settle down

will do ;) how often can I do 10L water changes without affecting my current tank too much?? maybe say 5 x 10L changes throughout the day?

will do ;) how often can I do 10L water changes without affecting my current tank too much?? maybe say 5 x 10L changes throughout the day?

Just think of it as acclimatising an invert, only on a much bigger scale, just do small changes often.

5 x 10 will be fine Shan. Make the first one early and the last one late, and space out evenly.

cool ;) hoping to move my livestock over tomorrow if the tanks params are the same! ;)

Back
Top Bottom