Moonlights too bright?

Reaction score
Is it possible to have moonlights that are too bright?? I've seen some wicked actinic shots of overseas tanks and its insane how many moonlights they've got.

Is there any negative effects this could have? Im thinking of upgrading mine but want to know more first...

Is it possible to have moonlights that are too bright?? I've seen some wicked actinic shots of overseas tanks and its insane how many moonlights they've got.

Is there any negative effects this could have? Im thinking of upgrading mine but want to know more first...

If you stay with the nature mooncycle you should have no problems.

Warr is correct.use a timer that allows moon cycle.the tedelex timers from Games have this feature.

What would happen if one didn't follow the moon cycle? Because MOST nano's now a days come with moonlight LED's and people use them EVERY night for night time viewing pleasure :)

What would happen if one didn't follow the moon cycle? Because MOST nano's now a days come with moonlight LED's and people use them EVERY night for night time viewing pleasure :)

Personally, I like to keep everything as natural as possible, and I don't believe that keeping moonlights on through the night is a good thing. Many of our small critters (and biger ones, like clown fish...) only spawn after dark, in order to lessen possible predation of the spawn.

Of course, IF you could hook the moonlight up to a timer/controller and copy the proper lunar cycle it would be OK, as that would result in lots of periods of total darkness for the critters to become romantic :whistling:

No positive proof for any of the above, though, so make up your own mind :)

Hennie

Last edited:
I run a Deep Sea Blue moonlight permanently (day and night) Not saying it has anything to do with it, but my clams have been spawning like crazy in the last few weeks.
I have also been having spawning of some of my corals.

Hey Mille, long time no hear. I am going to put my blue light in my bedroom.

Hi all - and Andrew (welcome back again! :) Been a while! Thanks for starting to post again - I really appreciate it)......

I too have some of Eco Aquatics' Deep Sea Blue moontlights (2 of, on my 2 metre tank). I also run them 24/7 - without seemingly any problems.... I cannot really say that I don't have ANY problems because of it - BUT - mine does not light up my WHOLE tank, only two distinct areas where the lights shine (two "beams")....

My corals, anemone's and fish all seem quite happy/comfortable with this...

Thanks Jacques, but they are not “Eco Aquatics” moonlights. You can get them almost anywhere in the country at your lfs.:)

Hennie my gut feel it that the animals in our tanks will get used to a dull blue glow, and continue with all there normal night time activities, including rest. (although they never personally told me this) I feel if your tank is looking great and healthy and you are using moonlights 24/7 then continue to do so, as you will get to see some amazing things happening in your tanks that you other wise would be oblivious too.

ah...that reminds me I have one of these units sitting somewhere at home....i'll hook it up now that I have been reminded... ;)

Cool, cos my moonlights I want to use are considerably brighter than the two stock LEDs' that came with the tank :D

Back
Top Bottom