Joe's 60 cube

Hi @Whoknows

Lol sorry, feel a bit self conscious about the tank due to the fughly phase :tt2:, but see below for the anthias

Last edited:
Hi @Whoknows

Lol sorry, feel a bit self conscious about the tank due to the fughly phase :tt2:, but see below for the anthias

Look on the bright side... Maybe fughly is the first step to stunning

Also very very stunning anthias:m106: I'll need one in my tank eventually he/she is beautiful:clap:

Hi,

Just a general update.

Corals are looking a bit pale and unhappy. I assume it's a combination of factors.

Test results were as follows:

I am thinking the biggest factor is phosphates :confused1: to address this I will up feeding of the fish and start feeding the corals. Picked up a combo pack of the red sea coral nutrition. Plan on dosing this 3 times a week. Will leave the skimmer off for for about 60 mins or so when I dose this.

I currently feed about half a tray of frozen mysis a week. :lol: any more and the fish will be just as "well rounded" as their owner.

Any advice on getting PO4 up slightly will be highly appreciated.

Will be doing a 30 litre water change today and some general maintenance. If I remember, I will post some picks of the tank after the clean.

I think the tank is ready for the transfer of my last fish and I am planning on doing this next week.

Last edited:
FTS after clean

I have left the algae on the back and side panes for the snails and copepods.

Morning

Tank is doing fine. Pods seem to be increasing at a good rate :m38: Corals on the other hand not looking good....again. Nutrients were undetectable with Hanna checkers :banghead: Full results were as follows:

I am not sure what to do anymore. I am feeding a cube of mysis or enriched brine shrimp 3 to 4 times a day. I have been adding the red sea coral nutrition almost daily (ULNS dosage and turned the skimmer off during the feeding). Any advice to get some phosphates and nitrates in the tank will be appreciated.

I have a number of projects planned for completion for today:

1 STC1000

Got wires, plugs, connectors, etc early this morning. Downloaded the wiring diagram.

2 ATO

Got a drum for water, pump, pipes and a clamp. Picked up 40 liters of RODI water. Drum is soaking in water and some vinegar.

3 Refugium

Picked up egg crate to isolate the refugium. Not sure if this will work, but will give it a try. If It does, will have a section for my future reactor.

Plan for tomorrow is to transfer my last fish, shrimps, hermits and snails. Got some seachem paraguard for the fish for a bath prior to release in the tank.

Last edited:
STC1000, refugium and ATO sorted

ATO reservoir

Also moved my one LED as a temp solution

I will need to build the canopy first before I can use my Radion. Not keen on buying the XR30 mount as a temporary solution. Also got 1 new ATI bulb to replace the 10k bulb that came with the Odyssea unit. Will replace the other 10k one next month.

Finished my water change and will start transferring my last livestock from the nano now.

Moved everything except for the wrasse and a trochus snail :banghead: took out all my rocks and could not find the wrasse :confused1: Did just spot him swimming around in the nano after putting all the rock in again :lol:

Last edited:
STC1000, refugium and ATO sorted

ATO reservoir

Also moved my one LED as a temp solution

I will need to build the canopy first before I can use my Radion. Not keen on buying the XR30 mount as a temporary solution. Also got 1 new ATI bulb to replace the 10k bulb that came with the Odyssea unit. Will replace the other 10k one next month.

Finished my water change and will start transferring my last livestock from the nano now.
Why don't you drill a small hole in the lid of the ATO reservoir for the hose to pass though? Then you can close it properly

General update

Finally caught the wrasse today and moved him to the new tank. Also got the last snail out of the nano. Only have a clown and an anemone left in the nano. The anemone will be moved to a new small tank - per instruction of the significant other :lol: Plan to use some of the stuff I have to start the new nano.

Water test results

Hi,

General update for now. Been a bit crazy at work. Will be testing parameters tomorrow. However, did notice an uptake of calcium last week. I have also seen some good polyp extension over the last week.

Feeding a lot of food at the moment - can see it in the skimmer filter socks. Full dark brown cup after a week and replacing filter socks after 2 or 3 days. The smell is something else :12:

Also started dosing AquaVitro Fuel for about 2 weeks. 7 mls a day - seems reasonable right for 230 liters with minimal coral? :lol:

After tomorrow, will know what dosing is required for calcium and will start dosing that going forward.

Last edited:
Hi,

The battle continues......

Currently feeding around 24 cubes of frozen food a week. I am not even sure how much flake food and pellets I have dumped in the tank over the last week. Just can not get a proper NO3 and PO4 reading. Yes, there is some nuisance algae, but nothing to be concerned about. The rate of growth on these are super slow.

Still dosing around 7 mls of AquaVitro Fuel a day.

Got some coraline algae scrapings today and added that to the tank after close inspection.

Will be doing some maintenance today:
  • 15 liter water change
  • Replace the filter sock
  • Clean the skimmer
  • Clean filter media
  • Replace carbon
  • Possibly trim the cheato

Hi all :m38:

Been a bit crazy, but general update.

Nutrients are still nowhere :confused1: there was a slight increase in PO4 this week but my skimmer was not skimming for a few days. Cheato has also increased significantly. Still dealing with some brown slime-ish algae. Still dosing around 7 mls of fuel a day and feeding 3 cubes of frozen food a day.

Found my 1st spot of coraline algae :slayer:

Corals seems to be doing okay, as is the clam. I noticed some growth on the clam.

Some pics of the corals

Tank is looking in great shape. Tell me isn't it the cheato eating up nutrients so fast that it not showing on your test kits like you said the cheato is growing fast?

Hi ReeferBray,

Thanks for the kind words.

I agree with your comment - sorry I am a bit lazy when it comes to explaining. I hoped that some balance would have been reached at this point. Taking into account, the number of fish, amount of food and amino acid dosing it does appear that that export method is very efficient. The only thing that makes me think that things are reaching some state of balance/heading towards it, is the fact that my my corals and clam have been showing some positive signs - the clam growing, some of my acros encrusting and some showing colour.

I am still just concerned that I am riding this on the edge.

I am currently testing SG, Alk and Cal daily to monitor uptake due to the concerns.

Yes to me all your coral is looking great and yes I mean 3 blocks of frozen food a day my tank is dead dead dead lol so to be honest IMO il just sit back and relax cause all seem good or isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom