Joe's 60 cube

Reaction score
Hi Chas,

Thanks :m01: This tank is a fairly big jump for me. My nano is only 65 liters (net volume).

It's an app - aquarium note.

Reaction score
Filtration update

Used some epoxy and super glue to secure the base rocks. Will do the middle layer of rocks tomorrow and the top one on Sunday.

After a thorough rinse, the sand has been added :m01:

Ok, maybe not the best rinse ever. Will let the skimmer and filter sock deal with it.

Reaction score
Equipment, cycle and filtration update

The following items were picked up this morning:

1 Odyssea T5 unit
STC 1000

Not sure how good the bulbs in the T5 unit are, but will get some ATI bulbs later on.

Picked up a 100 litres pre-mixed salt water to do the + 50% water change.

Attempting to epoxy and glue the middle pieces at the moment :banghead: Extra hands would be very useful at the moment.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cycle update

Results of tests performed today

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 5+ ppm an improvement (hue was lighter) previous test , but still high
Salinity: 1.027

Will be performing a 40 litre water change.

Any advice on finishing the cycle will be appreciated - tank has been cycling for 3 months now :confused1:

Reaction score
Setup looks awesome!!

I would say your cycle is not complete if you are still reading nitrites. No nitrites and no ammo indicates a complete cycle.

HTH

Reaction score
Cycle and filtration update

Tested water yesterday:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 5 ppm
Salinity 1.026

I am baffled by the no2 readings.

Added 500ml of Seachem Matrix to the sump and got special blend and nite-out II. I have turned off the skimmer and will run the tank without the skimmer for 2 weeks.

Reaction score
Cycle update

Tested water and no change from last week. Added some live sand and 1/2 kg live rock today.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cycle update

I was reading up on high nitrites during a cycle. I could only find reference to Dr Tim's one and only. It stated if nitrites exceeds 5ppm, water changes should be performed. It stated at that level the bacteria can not function and it will increase the cycle time significantly.

I picked up another 100 litre pre-mixed salt water from my LFS today and busy performing a water change. Hope this will speed up the process.

Reaction score
Howzit bud,

just read your thread. think this is going to be an awesome system once it starts up!
I would add a piece of hake or shrimp to the tank for a few days and see if that makes a change

Reaction score
@ Quintonv thanks. I am very excited for this setup.

Cycle update

Tested water today:

Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0

Seems like the tank is finally cycled.

Now to leave the tank for a month for the bacterial film to build up.

Reaction score
Hi @ReeferBray

At this point I have no clue what to NO3 is sitting at. However, I suspect it can not be very high due to the water changes - I have changed a 240 liters over the course of a month. I will test all parameters this Saturday.

Reaction score
Equipment, cycle and live stock update

Tank finished the cycle last week just in time for an emergency transfer of some of my corals. My nano was vitem to an RTN event through Saturday evening.

IMG-20190421-WA0016.jpeg

Unfortunately do not have a FTS of the nano on my new phone. Lost the following:
  • Branching hammer
  • Branching frog spawn
  • Plating monti
  • Both monti digitata - green and red
  • Milka
  • Green birdsnest
  • All needle corals - pink and birds of paradise
  • Pink stylo
These were the corals that seemed unaffected or healthy on Sunday morning

IMG-20190421-WA0026.jpeg

Tested parameters today and results were as follows:

Doing a water change tonight and will slowly bring up the ALk to 8.4. I hope that I can keep parameters stable long enough for these frags.

Ordered my second Odyssea T5 dual unit and will pick that up on Wednesday.

I added a snail and firefish. I wanted to get the purple firefish, but pricing did not sit right with me so I picked up the normal firefish.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi

I got the second T5 unit.

Thinking that I need to start the refugium soon. Will probably pick up the second Zetlight E100 some time over the next few weeks.

Water parameter are as follows:

Need to still test all, but I have been tracking it over the past week:

Corals seem okay, but still keeping an eye on them since the transfer.

Doing my first maintenance on the tank today.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

Tank is doing ok. Still dealing with the ugly phase. Compared to last week the algae seems to be receding - assume the refugium is helping. I noticed some copepods on the glass this morning and very happy about that. Again I assume it is due to the refugium. I would like to qualify my refugium statement before I am called an idiot:
  • I am not expert relating to any of this
  • Assumption has an appropriate and relevant definition
I did seem to add to the biodiversity.

I started getting a clean up crew going and have following in the tank:
  • Rocks: Banded trochus (4)
  • Sand: Nessarius (1) and Tiger Sand Conch (1)
  • Glass: Algae scraper
I am planning to move the following from my nano:
  • 1 Banded trochus
  • 1 Turbo Snail
  • 1 Nessarius
  • 2 Hermits (if they survived the crash)
  • 1 Cleaner shrimp
  • 1 Fire shrimp
Not sure if this will be too much? I can move some of the snails to the refugium if needed. Any suggestions welcome.

Parameters are as follows:

Things seem stable enough. But it seems the clam is starting to suck up calcium - dropped 50 ppm since last week:

I have been keeping a very close eye on alk and it seems fine at the moment and my daily manual dose seems ok:

I will start to split my manual dose between mornings and evenings.

Salinity and temp has fluctuated a bit, but that is due to me not setting up the ATO and STC yet. I am hopeful I will get some time this month - work life balance is non existent at the moment.

There has been a change to the stocking plan and that I blame on my significant other. Picked up a pair of lyretail anthias - these were named by her in the holding tank :banghead: so I knew they were coming home with us. Will be transferring my wrasse next weekend or closer to the end of the month.

Will be doing my second round of maintenance today. Last week took about 1.5 hours :m01: Compared to my nano this was amazing. Nano uses to take anything from 4 to 8 hours depending on the tasks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

Tank is doing ok. Still dealing with the ugly phase. Compared to last week the algae seems to be receding - assume the refugium is helping. I noticed some copepods on the glass this morning and very happy about that. Again I assume it is due to the refugium. I would like to qualify my refugium statement before I am called an idiot:
  • I am not expert relating to any of this
  • Assumption has an appropriate and relevant definition
I did seem to add to the biodiversity.

I started getting a clean up crew going and have following in the tank:
  • Rocks: Banded trochus (4)
  • Sand: Nessarius (1) and Tiger Sand Conch (1)
  • Glass: Algae scraper
I am planning to move the following from my nano:
  • 1 Banded trochus
  • 1 Turbo Snail
  • 1 Nessarius
  • 2 Hermits (if they survived the crash)
  • 1 Cleaner shrimp
  • 1 Fire shrimp
Not sure if this will be too much? I can move some of the snails to the refugium if needed. Any suggestions welcome.

Parameters are as follows:

Things seem stable enough. But it seems the clam is starting to suck up calcium - dropped 50 ppm since last week:

I have been keeping a very close eye on all and it seems fine at the moment and my daily manual dose seems ok:

I will start to split my manual dose between mornings and evenings.

Salinity and temp has fluctuated a bit, but that is due to me not setting up the ATO and STC yet. I am hopeful I will get some time this month - work life balance is non existent at the moment.

There has been a change to the stocking plan and that I blame on my significant other. Picked up a pair of lyretail anthias - these were named by her in the holding tank :banghead: so I knew they were coming home with us. Will be transferring my wrasse next weekend or closer to the end of the month.

Will be doing my second round of maintenance today. Last week took about 1.5 hours :m01: Compared to my nano this was amazing. Nano uses to take anything from 4 to 8 hours depending on the tasks.
Where's the pics of the new addictions thanks to your significant other?