Ive got CRABS

Toolboysa

Reaction score
HI All

So I got a few crabs with my live rock. About 20kg of live rock from what Ive counted Ive got at least 15 crabs. So the trap method is going to take to long. And Ive got 1 monster crab

Ive read of two other methods. I just want to know if anyone has tried them and how effective were they.

1. Put live rock in a dark container (no water) with a wet cloth over and leave for about an hour. Science behind it is that the crabs will leave the rock looking for water.

2. Put Live rock in a container with a SG of 1.040 for a few moments. Ive got what looks like small cluster of very small zoa's with a green centre on one piece of live rock would this this method kill the zoa?

This method will also get my bristle worms out but I could net them out and return them to the DT

Thanks

Well, if you've got crabs, they say that you need to create an ointment of disinfectant like Dettol (Boy what to say in company about the smell?) around the effected area..... as far as some crabs on your LR, I will leave that to the experts....:p

Well, if you've got crabs, they say that you need to create an ointment of disinfectant like Dettol (Boy what to say in company about the smell?) around the effected area..... as far as some crabs on your LR, I will leave that to the experts....:p

:mbounce:

that'l teach you to have unprotected sex .....calamine lotion will help the itching

use the trap method for the crabs in your tank, put a prawn in and leave it there overnight , the crab/s will go in.

haha.. I read about the sg of 1.040 in liveaquaria.. I dont know anyone who has tried this and if it works or not

Apparently when you dip the rocks in the water with the high sg, the critters come out

A safer solution I've heard of is filling is turkey baster or syringe with RO and blast it into the live rock holes, The guys should come scurrying out. Never had to try it tho, guys use this method to get mantis's out.

I've also heard that using soda water will also work. Blast it into their hidey hole. They don't schmaak the bubbles.

could also use an air pump and a pipe then?

I will stay away from the crab jokes cause I am a lady - or at least like to try :)

As for the LR crabs, I use a plastic pipe and try to force them out. I find that when I buy LR and it has stones jammed in the holes, after I use a wooden skewer to pick the rocks out, the crabs reveal them selves. Quick fix methods will just damage your LR. Rather let the buggers go without food for a few days and trap them.

I tried using the OR, I squirted some into the rock with a syringe, to get one one last week and he just went further into the LR and out of sight. Then I felt guilty for aggrevating him and put the rock back in the tank.

sorry for only commenting now. Internet has been off since the post

okay ive got 3 chromis in DT. So Ive taken a 50ltr black plastic container put some of live rock, whiskey glass (trap), 2 sun-sun's for water flow and a heater. How long should I leave it in there before baiting the trap?

Back
Top Bottom