Hotdog's Maxed Out Reef 650

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by hotdog83, 12 Sep 2017.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Agree, HD doesn’t mess around...pairs of everything! :D

2. Guest

3. Dian6430

Dian6430

How are the midas together?

4. OP
    hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish Moderator

They all school together, and also school with the goldies, I didn’t realize they were schooling until I added the extra 2, no aggression between them from the start.

5. Dian6430

Dian6430

Awesome. My one also schools with the 4 goldies

6. OP
    hotdog83

Haha, not all of them. What I found is that angels and butterflies are good in pairs if you can pair them up, but trying to pair up things like fairy or flasher wrasses is a waste of time, both end up as male eventually.

Tangs I haven’t tried pairing, think my tank is too small for that. Tried with 3 small yellow tangs, two ganged up and killed the third one and then the remaining 2 started fighting, so gave up.

7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

How easy is it to pair up angels? I’ve been wanting to get a pair of small jumping beans and see if they will pair up...but not sure if there is any trick to it

8. OP
    hotdog83

It is pretty straight forward as angels all start life off as female. So if you get 2 small ones of the same species, both are bound to be females still, with one turning male eventually. Once they are males they can’t turn back to female, so just need to find sufficiently small ones to still be female. My bicolor angels showed no aggression from the start and almost instantly paired up (had one for 18 months when I added the new one of the same size), the existing regal angel was a bit aggressive towards new one, but have calmed down now.

Kunhardt likes this.
  9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

That’s awesome, some great info there! I’m definitely going to give it a try now.

10. OP
    hotdog83

Some more random pics spamming the thread:

FB936031-CB9A-478B-B835-0E11FC7F65B1.jpeg 81E5D33E-5A6F-42F1-8E9D-578DD75DEDD4.jpeg 5B2FE027-07FE-4329-B9D0-4896D4050692.jpeg 0F340FEF-E850-4BB5-94ED-9BF056149FDF.jpeg

Haffy, Baz, Kunhardt and 1 other person like this.
  11. OP
    hotdog83

Longnose hawkfish also appears to be getting ready to spawn:

Kunhardt, Jones and Barlan like this.
  12. Jamie

Jamie

This tank is stunning

13. Kraken

Kraken

That is so awesome!!

14. IamVendetta

IamVendetta

What lighting are you running? and was that a DIY solution i saw on the first page?

15. OP
    hotdog83

I am running the following:

Improved Living kit (swapped out one white row with violet and UV chips)
    2x80w T5’s in the stock RSM lid in back, not sure exactly what bulbs, can’t remember
    3x100w Cree XTE chips from ebay, half white, half royal blue, each chip has 20x5w individual chips

I have some 100w cree XTE chips in closet that has 12x5w royal blue and 8x5w white that I want to try, but quite happy with colour so far, the extra UV and Violet chips really helped to balance the colour and pop some coral colours.

16. Nero19

Nero19

Tank looks amazing!!!!

17. OP
    hotdog83

So a bit of a wordy update. Still battling with high nitrates, sitting at somewhere between 50 and 100. Pellets are helping, but with 60+ fish I will need to do a lot more to get nitrates down to under 20. Going to design a big algae scrubber (1mx60cm) once my exams are done at the end of April, which should hopefully take care of the nitrates.

Had a few fish losses over the last few months, some due to my own fault, and some not, learned quite a few lessons. We imported fish directly, and learned that some suppliers are dodgy, and some fish of a certain size are best left in the ocean, like larger regal angels for example. Also learned hard lessons on a Phillipines shipment that cyanide use is still going on, lost all the angels I ordered after a month without them showing any sign of disease.

Also lost my 2 lennardi wrasses, which is still a bit of a mystery to me. Suspect they occur in the surf zone and my sand bed might not have enough oxygen for them to sleep it, especially given the carbon dosing I’m doing with the biopellets, so need to fix that before I try again. Still have a juvenile lennardi in my coral qt that needs to grow before I can try it in the display. Might get other common Anampses as a test run first before attempting lennardi in display again.

Lost the small true personifer angel too, it wasted away and got very skinny despite eating well, think it spent too much time in a holding tank with copper that destroyed its gut bacteria, which is lethal for a 2cm angel. Or I could have screwed up somewhere along the line, Chaetodontoplus isn’t the easiest angelfish genus to start off with.

Also learned that my snake eel will eat small sand living fish, 2 fire gobies and 5 alleni sandsifters disappeared due to the hungry snake eel, so will steer clear of similar fish.

Then future plans is not much, basically have all the major fish I want now, maybe try and pair up a multibar angel with mine, but for that fish TMC is my only realistic option, tried 2 from the Phillipines and definitely think they were either caught with cyanide, or overmedicated in the holding tanks of the suppliers, as they were doing well and eating for a month before dropping dead overnight. So I’d rather pay a little extra and not sit with the heartache of fish dying for no apparent reason. Would also like a female crosshatch trigger one day, but probably only in quite some time, as they are expensive. Then just small fish here and there to keep interest going. I’m done with major fish is much easier said than done for a fishaholic, so can’t make promises that I won’t get more fish.

The regal angel pairing seems to be going well, the small regal angel is really doing well and eating with the big fish now, and there is no more aggression from the bigger one.

The major challenge now is to get nitrates to under 20, then I can also start trying some nicer sps besides the current montis in the tank.

Fish that are currently spawning in the tank are the bangaii cardinals, longnose hawkfish, maldives clowns and cleaner wrasses.

ScubaLover22 likes this.
  18. Dian6430

Dian6430

Hey man. Good that you can share the ups and downs. Sorry about the losses but i guess thats part of it although not nice. Have you tried bio cubes? I dont have your fish stock but similar size tank and once my cubes kicked in it pulled my nitrates also from above 50 to 4 in one week. I really believe that the prodict does work

19. OP
    hotdog83

I haven’t tried cubes yet, the pellets were a bit of a desperate throw of the dice, wanted to stay away from carbon dosing as the Nopox caused bad cyano, but so far no cyano from pellets yet. Have you experienced any cyano with the cubes?

Might be an option to try cubes next, but would ideally like to have an algae scrubber as that is the safer option with a high fish load IMO, as it add oxygen to water, unlike carbon dosing that reduces oxygen.

20. Dian6430

Dian6430

Although the cubes run with oxygen which i think will maybe cancel out the use of oxygen from the water. No cyano and also didnt experience any in my previous setup that ran 2 years on the cubes. Im only running 500ml on my tank and id say there is atleast half left. I modified an old phosban reactor to run them in. Just drilled a hole through the bottom so that airline can fit through. Added cubes to the middle inside the chamber the reactor creates with those red shelves attached to the inlet pipe. Drilled 1.5mm holes through the whole inlet pipe so water can move through cubes and out the bottom and push airstone bubbles up through the cubes. Works like a charm and its cheap. Struggled to much to get the airstone to stay in the correct position by just adding it to the media bag. To much cubes dont come in contact with oxygen then

hotdog83 likes this.
  21. OP
    hotdog83

Awesome, thank you. Might try that if I don’t see improvement soon with the pellets, have an old Phosban reactor somewhere.

Dian6430 likes this.

Recent Posts