Hotdog's Maxed Out Reef 650

RiaanP

Reaction score
no, this one

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
Line spot trigger mysteriously died overnight, showing zero signs of its imminent demise the day before, and eating pellets with enthusiasm the night before. Normal swallowtail angel also just completely disappeared sometime over the last week, no sign of what could have happened and no body. Plus no extra algae on the glass that the death of a big fish like it would have caused. Beginning to suspect it might be the Magnifica nenny stinging and/or eating the fish. Quite a few mysterious deaths over the last few months. The nenny is massive, it basically covers the tank front to back, and all my pumps are turned towards it, so suspect new fish who are not used to the tank especially might get blown into it. Some, like trigger, might be strong enough to escape, but still gets a lethal dose of stinging cells. Reading online, it seems that a lot of people have had issues with Magnifica nennies stinging and killing healthy fish, especially tangs. If it was only small fish dying, I would have suspected a crab or even a bobbit, but the trigger was probably the biggest fish in the tank. Not sure what the solution is. One solution is a separate nano just for nenny and clowns that is connected to main tank, another solution is to sell the nenny. But have had it for 18 months now, and they are not easy nennies to keep long term, so will have to be a really good home if I go that route.