Help needed with a wire leaking electricity

Reaction score
Hi guys, my return pumps coating on the wire started coming off and is now leaking electricity. Is there a way that I can replace this wire? I half heartedly tried to open the cover but it is on quite tight, and I am afraid I break it. Have anyone successfully replaced these wires? The leak is right where the wire goes into the cover. I have tried to close the leak with silicon and isolation tape but still it leaks electricity . Any help would be appreciated uploadfromtaptalk1441560643097.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1441560719344.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441560643097.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441560719344.jpg

If cost is an issue then maybe @Secondwave can help you with a decent second hand one.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with the pump so it is actually sad to throw it away because the wires coating came off. I did earth my tank so I do not take any chances with it, got a good scare on a previous occasion !

I chucked a perfect Water Blaster 5000L/h whose wires became exposed where the enter the pump body.

The risk is just too much.

There is a liquid sealer that the guys use on there boats to seal cables and joints.

There is nothing wrong with the pump so it is actually sad to throw it away because the wires coating came off.
Yeah I know the feeling, I've thrown away 3 sunsun pumps over the years just because the wires became brittle and cracked near the housing, one of them was actually sparking under water, very freaky, but the pumps themselves were perfectly fine. :(

if you are insisting on fixing your pump follow these steps first
1.make sure your life insurance is paid in full
2.delete this post so that your wife will get paid the benefits
3.Make sure your wife posts a video so that everyone can learn what not to do
4.put a wooden stick in your mouth so you don't crack your teeth
5. and remember this is just a hobby its not worth your life
;)

Fix it using these steps.
You will 1st need to remove the casing.
Step one - hit the casing with a hammer until the casing cracks, and then break the 'coil' from the casing.
Step two - now chuck it in the garbage !! because it's useless now :m03:
Step three - Buy a new return pump, the fishies will thank you for it.
:thumbup:

There is nothing wrong with the pump so it is actually sad to throw it away because the wires coating came off. I did earth my tank so I do not take any chances with it, got a good scare on a previous occasion !

there is another solution to try seeing as you arent going to throw it away.

i think its made by Plasti-dip, i found a can of the stuff at Builders, i specifically bought the one for insulating electrical points. Simply spray on and it dries into a plastic coating.

guys spray the handles of their tools with this stuff so its bonds pretty well and i have tried it myself

heres a pic i jus found of it - costs less than R100

dzv68p.jpg

there is another solution to try seeing as you arent going to throw it away.

i think its made by Plasti-dip, i found a can of the stuff at Builders, i specifically bought the one for insulating electrical points. Simply spray on and it dries into a plastic coating.

guys spray the handles of their tools with this stuff so its bonds pretty well and i have tried it myself

heres a pic i jus found of it - costs less than R100

dzv68p.jpg

But is it reef safe and does it last in salt water. I still would not take a chance. Rather chuck it.

Last edited:
I am going to try it. First going to put it in a tub with salt water for a couple of months and see what it does. I test the water with a little electricity meter so never put my hands inside water. The reefsafe part is a problem never thought of that

I am going to try it. First going to put it in a tub with salt water for a couple of months and see what it does. I test the water with a little electricity meter so never put my hands inside water. The reefsafe part is a problem never thought of that

i've never tried it in Saltwater, i have used it on electrical joints outside that are exposed to elements such as rain and extreme sun (heat) and dust etc and no issues.

i would also suggest testing it in SW for a few months, testing water parameters each week.

I'm only suggesting this as an insulator because you arent keen on tossing out your pump - i am in no way saying that this is the answer so please be cautious.

Seriously guy,

Do not mess around with it. Chuck out the pump, In the grand scheme of things, they aren't expensive

A member here lost his life due to a broken wire. Its not a joke

Chuck it away....I threw a 3 month old jager heater that was leaking electricity,as soon as i found out it was the heater i took it out. Was so sad to see the heater go i lowered it slowly in the bin while singing a amazing grace but i wasnt gonna take the risk..... its not worth it

Back
Top Bottom