Hattinkies 400l cube.

Reaction score
@Mark Brito they are really awesome. Probably my favourite fish. Just a pain to get to get them to eat frozen. I have heard that the bigger / older they are the more likely they are to take frozen but not sure how true that is.

Reaction score
Cool thanks for the info. I have also heard of that before. What flow do you have in the tank with the lion?

Reaction score
It is currently just in a 40l QT tank until we can get the DT set up. So his current little tank just has a small hang on back and a sponge filter. Will still have to figure out what we are going to do with the flow in his tank and how to make the power head safe for the lion. They tend to get sucked in...

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

We got our new tank this evening... I guess I now have to change the name of this thread from Hattinkies 200l tank to Hattinkies 400 ish liter tank, we went slightly bigger. Because we are limited with the length available in the room for the second tank it make it hard finding something on short notice. But we manged, we got a awesome 850mm x 850mm x 600 high square tank. We did all the calculations ahead of time making sure the tank will fit into the space allocated for it and so on. We just never included the stand into those calculation, naturally there is no way to get it into the room currently since its 850mm x 850mm x 1000mm ... Will take some time this week to figure out what we are going to do about the stand. Picture was take after a quick rinse outside, will get to the proper leaning this week.

IMG_20190224_195726.jpg

Reaction score
We ran out of fresh water shrimp this weekend for little Ryan and he was not keen on taking frozen for the last 2 days. We have been hunting around on gumtree for feeder fish and found a few options but needed to make sure he will eat live fish before buying bulk. So after work I stopped at Pet World and bought 2 small ish guppies.

From his first meal we always used the tong to feed him even if it was live shrimp, thinking this would help the transition from live to frozen... That slightly back fired today, we through the guppy in and it started swimming around... Little Ryan just kept looking straight up with his nose half out of the water waiting for the tongs :m85:. With a lot of assistance, name calling and pointing Ryan finally saw the guppy after we all but chased it into his mouth. He gulped it down and went right back looking straight up with his nose half out the water. We figured he could have the second guppy if he wanted since we didn't really have any place to keep it (was not putting it in my FW tank). This time he manged to eat it a bit quicker. Greedy little guy went looking for more after that :swim:

So it looks like we will become the proud new owners of a guppy pond...:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Last night was guppy night again for little Ryan. He clearly learnt from the time before because the 2 guppies barely hit the water before the were gulped down. The first one may have been a bit big but with a bit of time Ryan manged to get it down and was still more than willing to take the second one. Going to spend some time this weekend hopefully setting up a guppy pond...

Reaction score
We managed to modify the stand this weekend as well as paint the back of the tank. Tank is finally in place. Now to get the plumbing done this week.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Will hopefully post some pictures tonight. We managed to do half the plumbing this week. Last night we also placed the scape and added half the water to the tank.

Will see how far we get with everything tonight :)

Reaction score
The Fish are finally in the tank :). We got everything except the light done this weekend (with lots of improvising :m28:) so we will be making a few changes in the future.

As you can see there was some sand / salt build up on the bottom but as soon as Eli started swimming around the bottom he kicked most of it up so it shouldn't be hard to keep the tank clean :)

Not the greatest pictures but here you go:

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
@Hattinkie..where did you get the rock for the tank if you don't mind me asking. I'm considering another rescape and like the look of the pieces you got

Reaction score
So they have been in their new tank for two days now. They have all settled really well. Tommy and Ryan have both eaten. Tried Eli on both nights but so far he shows interest but have not gone as far as taking the food.

They are all much more outgoing than I thought they would be so that is pretty cool to see them all swimming around and not bothered with each other.

We will only put the light on after the long week so then we can start moving some corals over.

Reaction score
@4age I actually bought it all from someone who shut down their tank, so I have no idea where they got it.
The large centerpiece rock is a man-made rock. The piece surrounding and supporting it are all natural/real reef rock. As far as I know, the man-made rock is no longer being made, but we do still have quite a few pieces of it.

Reaction score
We finally got the light up on Sunday and then moved some of the coral over. Here are a few pics:

Reaction score
@hotdog83 Thanks. Yeah we got him like that, his colour was also pretty bland so he seems to be doing better.
We have a purple in the other tank that had very bad HLLE when we got him but after about 6 months its all but gone except for a very small part on his one side.

Reaction score
@hotdog83 Thanks. Yeah we got him like that, his colour was also pretty bland so he seems to be doing better.
We have a purple in the other tank that had very bad HLLE when we got him but after about 6 months its all but gone except for a very small part on his one side.
To expand on this, we are keeping a close eye on the little guy. I am a bit worried because I think that the HLLE is getting worse (but I might be imagining it). Will try to keep photographic evidence to monitor the situation.

Reaction score
Thing are going well with the tank. The corals are getting use to the new flow and light.

Eel and Tomini are doing well and eating their frozen.

Lionfish is proving to be more difficult. He is now at the point where he takes a piece of frozen, "chews it" for about 30 seconds before spitting it out. We are now cutting back his guppies to just 1 guppy per feeding instead of 2 since his condition is looking good. Hoping this will make him decide to keep down the frozen.

Any suggestions on how to get him to take the frozen / keep it down would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Since the little Tomini is the only non-predator in the tank we got it two new friends over the weekend from a local breeder. Once we got them home it was pretty clear that they will need to do some growing before they can go into the tank since they are so small, the Lion will easily be able to snack on them. So till further notice these two will be in the little coral box.

Here are some pics of our new clowns:

Last edited: