Gecco's hip-hip-hooray!!

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FIRST FLOOD. :)

I got playsand in my tank, and I got now 2 Vortech MP40's on one side. Not a problem. Obviously depends on placeing of pumps, Liverock stack placing and what mood you set the pumps.

The sump room, is it just covered area or a enclosed room?

I wish I had all that space avaiable around my sump.

:) Who needs a wet roof when you can have a wet floor........

The sump room is a simple room 1400x750mm build years ago by some idiot. But as luck would have it someone bought the house and saw a engin room in the future :thumbup:. It is fully enclosed with a door from the outside only and a vent block at the top.

yip space is nice still need the ro containers, ATS (in planning) etc etc etc ....

Last edited:
My display tank is the same dimensions and I used fiji pink aragonite. I used 4 X 6.8kg bags and it filled the tank about 3-4 cm. I would say use 5 bags max.

Quick update:

The wife made it clear last night that fiji pink aragonite will be it :thumbup:. Getting 36.2kg from Dewald (Dorry Pets). Thanks for the chat Dewald.

@ Rakabos, Thank you for the info yesterday but decided on this route rather.

So the next 2 evenings I'm gonna be busy again...

Will load pic after substrate is in.

Last edited:
Cool stuff. Just a word of warning. The fiji pink still moves around in a new tank that has some flow. Its not as heavy as I thought it would be.

Congrats on starting up your system!!:thumbup:

The fiji aragonite is very fine and might blow around if the pumps are not possitioned correctly.

It is however a far better option than play sand. Whiter, heavier and more course!!;)

Nice chatting to you!:)

Thanks Tiger for the chat and delivery last night.

Update:
Finally managed to switch return pump on last night due to waiting for water to rise enough. Pluged it in (brand new) and nothing. Long words were spoken with allot of do this and do that and out of fustration gave it a good old :smash: and its started. runs very smooth and quiet now :punk:.

Now to just get the salinity bit more up and the substate will follow. If all goes well LR will be added this weekend and the wait can begin.

PS will post pic after substrate is in.... nothing new to see now...

Quick question, how to rinse Aragonite? how many times must I rinse it as the water become white everytime?

bakgat!

Finally managed to switch return pump on last night due to waiting for water to rise enough. Pluged it in (brand new) and nothing. Long words were spoken with allot of do this and do that and out of fustration gave it a good old :smash: and its started. runs very smooth and quiet now

This is not a good sign. What happens when you get a power dip or failure and you are not around?
You need a 100% guarantee the pump fires up first time every time

If new, I'd take this pump straight back to the supplier and upgrade to a quality unit - its the heart of your system, dont cut corners here.

In my opinion, some of these chinese units are cheap shyte (H2O being one of them). The number of tails of woe I've seen on forums from pump failures. Personal experience, friend bought a second hand pump and found only 1 vein remaining on rotor. Come on !:nono:

Thanks for the heads up, It is running lekka now and start up every time i switch it off for the odd reason. Will upgrade this in near future....

Update time:

Okay time for a update after the weekend. Firstly I thought after all my reading the forum etc etc. I knew enough to start. Was I ever wrong, This last 1½weeks I learned alot WOW.

The DT as it was last night after I added the first LR, NOT enough I know but more will follow. All the rock in the DT is dead LR (±30kg) and the 2 dark rock on top is the new LR. I will add more soon but hope the ±30 kgs dead LR will seed in time. This morning the DT is almost 95% clear. So now the cycle can at least start in a way till the next LR goes in. Luckily I'm taking it slow. Also no scaping was done because I cant make my mind up what I want...:(

2010-09-05-11.jpg

Pic of the sump last night. I will add another 50mm play sand tonight to make it 150mm in total. (Boy oh boy was that play sand dirty-I like the "washed" printed on the bag part :))
2010-09-05-2.jpg

PS. The Figi pink aragonite doesn't create any sand storms. I'm super glad about this.

Thank you Tiger, I will give this system a long time to cycle and mature.
:thumbup:

Thank you, It's really quite in the living room with all the noise in the next room
:yeahdude:

Got myself a Salinity Refractometer from Dorry pets yesterday. I used the glass type before witch was nasty. Kept on adding salt but the reading remained far below 1.010 :nono:. So got home and tested with the refractometer and finally got the right reading of 1.021, so almost right.

Got some sand to seed my DSB aswell so things can get going. Got a lekka surprize to as my TS2 kicked in and started to produce some skimate. Damn I feel like new dad again, just imagine when i see the first life form :lol::lol:

Will post pics tonight...
Thanks Dewald and Lanzo for the chat and goodies.

Back
Top Bottom