Garlic

Mekaeel

Reaction score
howzit guys.alot of us have been using garlic when feeding.it is said that it boosts the fishes immune system aswell as irritate parasites.it also helps with whitespots popeye etc....
my question is.Can we place a few pods of garlic in our refugium/sump/DSB where there is gentle flow?in this way i feel it could help in combating parasites and other diseases?please may i have some views on this.
thank you :)

mekaeel, interesting, only objection I can see is that the garlic cloves will rot in the water. Rather try adding garlic extract to your tank on a daily basis.

ive been doing this.but say we put in a few pods.how many days can it be kept in there before it begins to rot?

Dunno lets try it, I would imagine the moment the water seeps into the clove. Remember the bacteria we so fond off will also try and break down the clove..

To my knowledge garlic have some anti biotic properties and something that stimulates the fish to eat. I think the only reason why garlic help with the mentioned problems is the fact that the fish eat well and so have the strength to overcome the disease/infection.

Something else worth mentioning while we are on the topic of fish health is Vitamin C. It breaks down in water very fast and our livestock are just as dependant on vitamen C as we are. That is one of the reasons why people suggest that you don't use roasted seaweed, the roasting process takes away most of the vitamin C.

I'm trying to locate some in a form that is usable in tanks. Will post when I get and get some results.

Okay haven't read the links, but the garlic thing has been carried over from the fresh water side where we used it to get rid of internal parasites in discus, never had an effect on the external parasites. The reason garlic stimulates feeding is because fish are attracted to natural smells, garlic, banana etc.

Mekaeel, try feeding your tangs some Banana, they will go mad for it. Just a bit of a mission to keep it from going all mushy. I give mine some once a month or so. My PB loves it ;)

Mekaeel, try feeding your tangs some Banana, they will go mad for it. Just a bit of a mission to keep it from going all mushy. I give mine some once a month or so. My PB loves it ;)

@DragonReef; how big piece do you give your tangs? How did you get them to eat banana? How do you feed it? Sounds intresting.... :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom