Freshwater Dips

Reaction score
I've seen many of us mention freshwater dips as cure for parasites in fish and corals.

Guys my question is how safe is this and for how long do you dip a fish or a coral?

Also with the low tolerance shrimps have for salinity changes is it right to assume that a FW dip for shrimps would be fatal?

Thanks

Robert

From what I have read is that when doing a FW dip, get the temperature and the ph of the FW the same as the tank. Then dunk the fish in, some people (Anthony Calfo) have done dips for up to 15 minutes, but keep an eye on the fish, as soon as it starts showing signs of severe stress or going belly up, then remove it back to the tank.

I often use fresh water dips for new fish as i dont quarantine the fish and generally dip for about 2min now, just make sure the water is the same temp as the tank. Never dipped a coral in FW and dont dip shrimps it will kill them. Besides that i dont think shrimps will carry a parasite that will transfer to a fish.

I've personally done an iodine dip on a LPS to get rid of a type of worm that invested one of the polyps. Do you think that's a better approach than a FW dip?

I often use fresh water dips for new fish as i dont quarantine the fish and generally dip for about 2min
nice advice there alan!something new i learnt

You will probably stress more than the fish does. i know i did the first few times.

:lol: yupp you 100% right. when i dipped the frogspawn i thought ohh crap i'm going to kill a 13 header in one stupid move..

i usually just slip some grandpa powder into the bag on the way back from the LFS..always worked so far and the colour really comes out of the fish.

Thesnoek,what does the grandpa do?Please can you explain?

sorry guys i was being facetious, there is no way i would slip any pharmaceuticals into my tank. I have a really twisted sense of humour. I am still a new kid on the block so have yet to get any fish from the LFS...

Back
Top Bottom