Fred d's TL550

Reaction score
Hi everyone ...

time to get something wet and for now it will be my TL550

Its a tl550 like any other with the exception that it is put together by your s truly , thus its like none other

Specs

standard black tl on old style standard stand
standard return pump
2 x heaters ( 200w x 1 and 300w x 1)
flow is by jpv101 x 1 and jpv 201 x 1 sunsun pumps
I am gonna try something new with filtration so that will be kept under wraps for now
One central vertical scape
the standard lighting is replaced with a diy led built into the canopy I bought with the tank from @charl stanhope
the skimmer was bought from jason (thanks @Jason) is a red sea prism hob skimmer and has an impellar mod ... skims well

Last edited by a moderator:
Just after starting the pumps and skimmer

20140920_122128.jpg

20140920_123549.jpg

20140920_123536 (1).jpg

very curious to see whats up with this new filtration

I was looking at my previous setup and what really worked well was the liverock rubble I kept in the sump .

The problem with it was that after some time it becomes a detritus trap .
but I have a plan

I aquired a box of marinepure balls on masa wish i have placed in an openflow bag (old onions bag stitched closed with some nylon rope) . Hpefully I can rince these in the water I do my waterchange with .

the plan is to keep this in the last chamber of my tl and create space for pods and worms and the like to populate ... also the have good surface area for bacteria growth ...

I guess time will tell

I also plan on runing cubes and occasionally some carbon

will see what the system requires

oh sorry my mistake. yes read that, dunno why I said rubble. Never heard about marinepure balls but that's understandable since im still pretty wet behind the ears.

Im interested to see what happens with this boyu, just read through Charl Stanhopes TL-550 thread, and with those lights it it had alot of potential.
Actually doing research today to do a similar DIY led project on my tank

Back
Top Bottom