Frag Tank Lighting

Not all T5 are equal.
here is a test I've done back in 2008. Wow, time flies.

If you want quality, then you pay. Good reflector, and you get really a lot more value out per tube.

Thanks RiaanP, so far more people are recommending that I go T5's for the better frag growth. The only thing I need to find out now is how many 54watt T5's I need over a 250mm ( water depth ) frag tank. Some say use 4 T5's and other say to use 2 T5's. I will mainly be fragging LPS, zoa's
and the easier to keep SPS stuff.

Are the Odysea quad or dual T5 lighting units any good......I like the ATI units, but bliksem they are seriously expensive!!

Ignoring obvious, initial price, cost of globe replacement and power consumption,

1. any dual with individual reflectors would give the same punch than an Odysea quad with simple flat reflector. On the same brand of globes.
  2. Heat will also be less of an issue with dual than quad.
  3. Width of dual with proper reflectors would about be the same as a quad unit, so access issues is the same.
If you want to go T5, get the proper unit.

Ignoring obvious, initial price, cost of globe replacement and power consumption,

1. any dual with individual reflectors would give the same punch than an Odysea quad with simple flat reflector. On the same brand of globes.
  2. Heat will also be less of an issue with dual than quad.
  3. Width of dual with proper reflectors would about be the same as a quad unit, so access issues is the same.
If you want to go T5, get the proper unit.
Recommendations as to which T5 unit? I spoke to Leslie about the Orphek BAR LED units.....that may also be a good option?

Last edited:
I had Aquamedic Dual T5 units, both 54W and 39W. I found them very effective. Not sure if you get these units anymore unless you go secondhand.

What is the wattage of those Orphek Bars?

Orphek BAR units.

OR 120 – 120cm /48 Inch /36 LEDs of 3Watt
OR 90 – 90 cm / 35 Inch / 24 LEDs of 3Watt
OR 60 – 60 cm /24 Inch / 18 LEDs of 3Watt

your tank is 1,2m. So the OR90 would be the better fit. That would be 72w in total.

Back
Top Bottom