Extremely High Calcium Problem Please Help

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by MerlinT, 13 Feb 2014.

1. MerlinT

MerlinT

Hi guys. My CA level is currently 1000ppm which I know is far to high. What are the side effects in this regard. One thing I have just found out is that it drops alkalinity at a very fast rate everyday. What are the other ill effects it's going to have on my system altogether? I am doing a water change tomorrow and was wondering will it drop with water change. If not dropped, what steps do I take to rectify this. It dropped by 80ppm since last week Saturday.

Thanks
    M

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Before you do anything drastic, test your Calcium with another test kit or get it tested at an LFS. From my understanding, calcium will precipitate out of solution at about 550 or 600ppm I think, and you'd end up with a "snowstorm" in your tank, so it's highly unlikely that your CA is that high.

4. DevzZz

DevzZz

I'm not 100% clued up on this subject but I will ask it like the mods do. Can you by an chance post your tank parameters and what you're dosing as well as the salt that you use to do your water changes with. Also what test kits are you testing with because a reading of 1000ppm is extremely high. Are you getting like a white residue on your rocks? IMHO I would leave it 3 days to a week and check your parameters again to see if it is dropping. Water changes could also help as it dilutes the calcium and helps to drop it. Hope this helps.

5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

How on earth did it get that high? Agree with Dean, highly unlikely.test the test.
    You by any-chance disturb aragonite just before testing, as fine particulates will dissolve during testing and give a false high reading.....
    Test the water you are using for a waterchange as well, which IF mixed correctly, depending on brand and quality, should give a reading of about 350-450ppm.

6. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

I'm getting a white like sort of substance which could be the residue you talking about on my back glass. I'll do that test again with another make test kit but will also do my water change as well as it is due this weekend. I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt. Calcium chloride flakes.
    M

7. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

My guess is that I added more of the Calcium Chloride than I should of. I also use to add when I did water changes. I don't disturb the aragonite at all.

8. DevzZz

DevzZz

I agree with you. I think the extra addition of calcium could have pushed it high but I still agree with Dean and say use another test kit. How often do you do water changes? How much water do you change at a time? I use the exact same salt as you for my water changes and I don't have to dose any calcium. I do a 10% water change ever other weekend and my calcium sits perfect and never dips. My corals are thriving and my fish couldn't be happier.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2014
  9. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

I use to do 50lt per month but as of tomorrow I will be doing 25lt every second week. I have a 165lt tank minus 10lt to compensate for rock.

10. DevzZz

DevzZz

That's a better idea. I do 25L every other weekend on my 265L system and it works for me so I reckon try it and I hope it works for you too!

11. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

Thanks Devzzz

12. DevzZz

DevzZz

No Problem Merlin. Hope it helps and all the best with your tank:thumbup:

13. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

Thanks to Snoek who did not only test my water with his test kit but also took in my nennie to look after. He confirmed that there was nothing wrong with my test kit. My calcium is in fact high. I did a test Saturday before my water change and my calcium measured 925ppm. Did another calcium test 8 hours after the water change and then measured 840ppm. It drops 80ppm in 7 days. I should have it under control by mi March. I must say that all my coral are doing very well at this point in time. They are showing signs of growth and starting to colour up again. Right now time will tell. I am definitely in the next couple of days have my Doser up and running.
    Cheers
    Merlin

14. Snoek

Snoek

Please dont dose any Ca.

15. Christo

Christo

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

16. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

Lol!!!Now would I really knowing how high my calcium level is. I'm trying to lower it not raise it. :lol:

Recent Posts