• If you are a related business or shop and wish to advertise on this forum and our facebook group then please send an email to admin@marineaquariumsa.com or use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Cost is R1500.00 for 6 months sponsorship.

Elegance Coral theory

As Kunhardt said this is often a reason for them doing well as they come out of turbid, high nutrient water often. It's also another reason why they were so great in the old days when we only had crap lighting available to us and hadn't developed the great skimmers or techniques for nutrient removal we have today.

And yes I think that the Vietnamese elegance do seem tougher (less over-extended fisheries at this stage). Possibly due to them being far stricter on how much gets removed, by restricting CITES permits I assume, so well done to Vietnam for hopefully protecting their resources better.:)

So the moral of the story is to have no sump, average lighting and a below average skimmer if you want to keep this coral in your tank :p

Who would have thought :lol:

Otherwise I actually bought this coral from you at Idol Marine. I remember you saying you brought it in from Vietnam thus me assuming it was from that part of the World :whistling:

I got mine almost a year ago and it just growing. They have 2 for a couple of months now.
They looking great, I think the success of any coral is water quality and feeding.
I've seen elegance in at least 4 lfs's in cape town. But Perkies looks bigger an healthier.
@Perky pets superstore. Some info on where you got the corals and maybe some pics on health.

Hi , yes , we get quiet a few ellegance from vietnam now and they do very well.
Ive found they prefire low lighting and low flow , and do best when placed under a slight overhang or propped up between some rocks.

We dont overskimm our tanks at all , so yes they could like the nutrient rich waters - strangly enough - even the vietnam goniapoura seems hardier...

Same as the clams , the vietnam clams are bullut proof , but the frogspawns /torches - actualy all euphillias - travel very very poorly from there , which is a pitty because , the come in such nice sizes...

Sorry no pics at the moment , we have sold 4 in the last two weeks - only one left ( paid for) , but no camara here at work...

Tks
David

Ive found they prefire low lighting and low flow , and do best when placed under a slight overhang or propped up between some rocks.

We dont overskimm our tanks at all , so yes they could like the nutrient rich waters - strangly enough - even the vietnam goniapoura seems hardier...

Same as the clams , the vietnam clams are bullut proof , but the frogspawns /torches - actualy all euphillias - travel very very poorly from there , which is a pitty because , the come in such nice sizes...

Sorry no pics at the moment , we have sold 4 in the last two weeks - only one left ( paid for) , but no camara here at work...

Tks
David

Thanks for the feed back David...do the Goni's come in Red from Vietnam by any chance? or just the usual run of the mill greenish ones?

Mine is at the bottom of my tank and stands alone on the sand. I have read on numerous forums that they hate touching rock. Mine is at least 50mm away from my rocks but rather close to the glass on the front of my tank. It does not seem to mind the glass but I did notice the first couple of months I had mine it was positioned right next to rock and perhaps one of the reasons why it was not too happy :blush:

Regardless it is a beautiful coral and I hope it continues growing :thumbup:

Thanks for the feed back David...do the Goni's come in Red from Vietnam by any chance? or just the usual run of the mill greenish ones?

Ive only seen the red twice - and both times from indonisia.
Vietnam has a nice Light purple though ... sold one about 3 months back to a non member - size of a med large radianthus - heard from him about 3 weeks back and its still doing well

the other colours we get in are the goniapoura stokesi veriaty ( pale purples )- also nice , and hardier than the lobata ( std green )

Its strange , i cant talk for others , only my own experience...
The other posts , were they refiring to the Vietnam Ellegence as well ?

Not sure mate :whistling:

I am not even 100% sure where my specimen is from exactly. Waiting for Bob the builder from Idol Marine to confirm :blush:

mine dont mind touching anything, had it against rock, front glass pane and even 2 attacks from my slipper. check out my thread for pics.

thanks. got my Elegance and 90% of the rest of the coral from @Perky pets superstore

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom