Davids tank

Some coral pics:

DSC_1865_zps8d2ec1ju.jpg

DSC_1861_zpsirv1iurh.jpg

DSC_1867_zpsaam695dq.jpg

A pic of probably my oldest coral, a humble green yuma. All other yumas ive had have died for absolutely no reason, yet these have made it through my initial beginner accidents, tons of fragging, and even a tank crash.

DSC_1877_zpsujb2vzzq.jpg

You need more fish. :p I'm curious as to how large the growth rings are on your monti yet they seem to be mostly in a shaded area, is that right?

I do need more fish, but with a large maroon, Brisstooth and jumping bean, my choices are rather limited. Any suggestions? Sohyl tang? Damsels?
The monti gets very little light. I have a frag of it on the opposite side in full light, that is t growing nearly as well.

Slight disaster over the weekend:
I was house sitting for the in laws over the long weekend. They dont stay too far away so id drive back everyday to feed fish and check everything is fine. I was usually doing this around lunch time. All seemed fine, except on tuesday i noticed some corals looked a bit pale. Seeing as i have bulbs i didnt think much of it (i had lights on a timer and tank was getting less light than usual because of new bulbs).
On wednesday i had to pop in at home quickly before work and as i opened the door i saw my tank lights were on!!! Why were they on at 7am?!?! I hoped id set the time wrong and the lights were coming on early...but i was wrong...
$&@$% timer had failed. Lights had been on permanently for who knows how long. Id guess in the region of 72 hours. The corals are not happy at all. Green slimer is a pale lime yellow, some acros are a good white colour. So far only one frag seems to be totally gone. Fish look a bit sleep deprived, blood shot eyes and slightly more cranky than normal.
What i find interesting about little mishaps like this is how some corals thrive under disaster. Acors definitely dont like light all the time, neither does xenia. But clams are looking better than ever.

Murphy huh, just waits till your not around to do it....Least you weren't away on holiday

I had the timer fail on my sons tank. Tank was temporary in the fish room so I did not really notice something odd. The clown fish was"off", not too happy. The male just parking at one spot looking like we will loose him. Later that night (like around midnight) I went to check up on him and the lights were still on. Removed the timer and for then set the lights manually. Male recovered thereafter quickly. Corals were all OK.

Seems insomnia do impact fish just as humans. After a couple of nights good sleep he was back to his normal self.

Happened to me as well when I was away for a weekend. When my corals recovered about a week later, they looked better than they ever did. Was before I had some Sps though.

So it wast only the timer that failed!
Checked kh and it read 4dkh. Considering the amount of vinegar im dosing and the lights been on for so long, its no wonder corals started to bleach. I decided to up KH as fast as safely possible, except corals actually started getting worse. Checked KH again and it still read four. Checked using the test sample in the kit and it also read as 4 :censored::censored:

Went and got a new kit and turns out my KH was actually sitting on 12. No wonder my poor corals have been getting progressively worse. Tank is also very very white, not sure how many sps will pull through.

Now i really have no faith in test kits. Kit wasnt old and only expires next year.

So it wast only the timer that failed!
Checked kh and it read 4dkh. Considering the amount of vinegar im dosing and the lights been on for so long, its no wonder corals started to bleach. I decided to up KH as fast as safely possible, except corals actually started getting worse. Checked KH again and it still read four. Checked using the test sample in the kit and it also read as 4 :censored::censored:

Went and got a new kit and turns out my KH was actually sitting on 12. No wonder my poor corals have been getting progressively worse. Tank is also very very white, not sure how many sps will pull through.

Now i really have no faith in test kits. Kit wasnt old and only expires next year.
I always give the bottle a good swirl ( not a shake) before I use the test kit, just to make sure everything is mixed properly. If there are a few substance in the bottle that spilt over time, as you progressively go through the test kit the readings become less and less accurate.

Oh wow - not good to hear ,good luck with whatever you decide to do.
You don't think with a bit of reduced lighting & maybe some nutrients they might pull back?

Back
Top Bottom