Convict Goby/ Engineer Goby

Reaction score
hello:)
I managed to find one of these fellas lurking deep under a rock on the weekend. I have been looking for burrowing fish, or sand sifters and looking at goby's a while. These guys are Known to burrow and rearrange things alot but easy to keep. Very interesting swwimming action, and with teh dark colours a very nice fish. I will get you a few pics soon:)

if any of you have experience with them please let me know:)

a few pics of the fella:)

1531.jpg

Scientific Name: Pholidichthys leucotaenia
Common Names: Engineer Goby or Convict Blenny

General information:

The Engineer Goby is not a really a goby at all - it is the only member of the family Pholidichthyidae. This fish is white with brown lines or marbling on the body (the color changes as the fish grows). It will dig extensive tunnels under your rock work. Make sure you place the rock on the bottom of the tank, and then add your substrate around it if you are going to keep burrowing fishes, like this species. It is fairly disease resistant and may withstand sub-optimal water conditions. This species is indifferent toward other fish species, and more than one specimen can be kept per tank. Groups of juveniles will form shoals (they often occur in large groups in the wild). Large individuals will eat ornamental shrimps and tinyl fishes.

Special anatomical, physiological or behavioral adaptations:

Feeds on bottom-dwelling invertebrates, provide a varied diet that includes frozen preparations for carnivores. Great reef tank resident. It will help stir up detritus that builds up around rock work.

OK let it be said, thats a very WELL named fish. I got back home to see him slowly digging a hole in the substrate near the corner and tried to take some pics, which disturbed him so he went under a piece of LR. Then he started engineering his cave. The only thing i have seen quicker at moving large sections of substrate is a spade!....even beats my rogue powerhead:) well almost anyway!

And he is feeding actively last night which was great to see. Nice to have him, strange fish to watch and active:)

Last edited by a moderator:
nice to have unusual things:) i took a few pics but i think this guy loves corraline as he tries to hide behind the two patches I have on glass! :)

if i could find one I would:) one one was lurking under the rocks, i think most people missed him.....and its a juvenile at the mo, underage breeding is not allowed! :)

DID YOU KNOW

They have been successfully bred and raised in hobbyists aquariums.

on your list yet sponsor??? :)

having seen the sheer volume of sub strate this fella has shifted ( i would say close on 2kg or more) i would shudder to think what a pair maiting would do! its brilliant watching this guy, a truley weird fish, if i could turn soil over as fast as he did i would not need to have forks on my farm. And feeding time is great to watch him take food, shooting out and gulping it, but only frozen at the mo, not pellets or flakes.

this is a fun fishie:)

We had 4 in stock but sold out now.

The only thing that do not fly out of the door @ pet stop is the owners (my) personal stock.

But you know that crispin.....

We had 4 in stock but sold out now.

The only thing that do not fly out of the door @ pet stop is the owners (my) personal stock.

But you know that crispin.....

knowing the size of yopu i would be most surprised to see you fly:)

let me know if u get some others in, although i think they should be added to a tank together so i think i will skip the pair thing for the moment. :(

Back
Top Bottom