Choosing Wood

Mekaeel

Reaction score
howzit crew.any one know whats a good wood to go for, for my tank?ive been thinking about either oak,mohagony or cherry.which is the cheapes outa the lot?all 3 will match the colour scheme of my new apartment.any other suggestions on wood will be appriated.its gotta be something solid though not chipboard style.
cool

howzit crew.any one know whats a good wood to go for, for my tank?ive been thinking about either oak,mohagony or cherry.which is the cheapes outa the lot?all 3 will match the colour scheme of my new apartment.any other suggestions on wood will be appriated.its gotta be something solid though not chipboard style.
cool

all three will be nice, but solid, and to get someone to work it you going to be paying through a rather delicate part of your body. And seal it very well.

Have a look at beechwood as well, from the few photos of your tank and bits of the flat it looks like quite a modern style. I think beech also wont be as gloomy as the others. (not that the others are gloomy they would just suit a different style of house)

Would look amazing.:thumbup:

cool,will look at the pricing of beachwood aswell.by the way the flat im moving to has more of the cherry,oak look to it rather than the flat im currently in.

Sounds nice, yeah cherry would be nice too, hard to work with though;)

Mekaeel, a dedicated "rare woods" type shop would be the best.

Here is something to look at. You can buy veneered (melamine/chip board style) supawood from timercity etc. For the doors they do a trim called Devon edging, looks real good, real durable and when you open a door it has some weight behind/nice feel.

Much cheaper and easier to work than real wood.

But the real wood would be the shit:)

Mek, try Country Woods in Marianhill. Good selection and their prices are about average.

i think i knoow what you talking about,is it a type of a thin sheet like masonite that sticks over wood?they sell in all different finishes.correct?

no its already manufactured, you get 9mm 12mm and 16mm and I think 21mm. Timbercity I know will cut edge and also devon edge for you.

Or if its solid wood you looking for something like country woods

... any one know whats a good wood to go for, for my tank? ive been thinking about either oak,mohagony or cherry.

You probably know this, but cherry and mahogany are dark reddish-brown (mahogany being darker), whilst oak is light yellowish. Lighter wood makes a room look larger, whilst the darker wood gives it a warmer, richer ambiance, so your room size and "type" must play an important role in the decision.

Of the three woods, the Mahogany will be the strongest. The Oak is rather difficult to work with (ask me, I've built my tank enclosure from solid Oak...), and the Cherry wood will most likely be the most expensive. I think Cherry is the most beautiful of the three, but you need a large "old" room to do it justice.

...its gotta be something solid though not chipboard style.
Good decision - there's nothing like solid wood, if you can afford it. Are you going to do the work yourself? If so, and you're not very experienced, I would concur with Kanga's recommendation of Beech, it is smooth-grained, and easy to work with. If you are more experienced, or if you are going to have it made, I would go for either the Oak or the Cherry, depending on your room.

Hennie

M13 past Pinetown - take Marianhill turnoff (at bottom of Fields Hill) - Turn left at end of glide off. 3rd robot left again (have Smith and Nephew on your left). Ist left again down at the end of that road on the left.

You probably know this, but cherry and mahogany are dark reddish-brown (mahogany being darker), whilst oak is light yellowish. Lighter wood makes a room look larger, whilst the darker wood gives it a warmer, richer ambiance, so your room size and "type" must play an important role in the decision.

Of the three woods, the Mahogany will be the strongest. The Oak is rather difficult to work with (ask me, I've built my tank enclosure from solid Oak...), and the Cherry wood will most likely be the most expensive. I think Cherry is the most beautiful of the three, but you need a large "old" room to do it justice.

Good decision - there's nothing like solid wood, if you can afford it. Are you going to do the work yourself? If so, and you're not very experienced, I would concur with Kanga's recommendation of Beech, it is smooth-grained, and easy to work with. If you are more experienced, or if you are going to have it made, I would go for either the Oak or the Cherry, depending on your room.

Hennie
yip cherry and mahogany will both match my colour scheme.im actually thinking of doing away with oak as theres is too much of oak work in the new aqpartment.
yes im not too bad with wood work,done it before and got most of the tools for the job,my dad is excellent with wood work so he's got some brilliant ideas in mind. :slayer:

M13 past Pinetown - take Marianhill turnoff (at bottom of Fields Hill) - Turn left at end of glide off. 3rd robot left again (have Smith and Nephew on your left). Ist left again down at the end of that road on the left.
shotto kev,will give them a try.

I think you have space for a bigger tank. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom