Chillers running already

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Wow, we just at the start of summer and already it seems that my chillers are starting to work over time. I think we are in for a really sweltering summer esp here in KZN, so guys check your chillers and test them to make sure they are working, i am already struggling to keep the temp at 26deg during my light cycle.

DragonReef

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Yip, we've even had a spot of humidity already, and it's only September..

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Don't you dbn guys have pipes going underground and stuff for your tanks?

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Seriously thinking about burying a 1000L flow bin to help with the heat.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
mmmmm the electricity munchers are starting to work:lol:

Copperband

Blenny
Reaction score
explain pls
Afsal if you add another 1000L via a plastic bin (flow bin) to your system volume it takes longer to heat up also the transfer of the water outside the tank to the flowbin, possibly outside will assist with heat transfer..

I have to do something like this ASAP, wife phoned me to say my 5 foot went up to 32.5 yesterday...

SIMS

Regal Tang
Reaction score
Seriously thinking about burying a 1000L flow bin to help with the heat.
Where would you sink it? Would be a nast job to dig such a big hole....but then again you can alway's get someone else to do it. Now you got me thinking.... this would make water changes alot more of a drag as it would add another 100l to the weekly 200 or 300 you already doing....

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
One way to keep water cool is to bury a bin in the ground as the temp under ground is much cooler and far more stable than above. Another option is to lay pipe under ground about .5 meters deep and just pump water through it, obviously the longer the run and the deeper the pipe work, the more effecient it is.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Where would you sink it? Would be a nast job to dig such a big hole....but then again you can alway's get someone else to do it. Now you got me thinking.... this would make water changes alot more of a drag as it would add another 100l to the weekly 200 or 300 you already doing....
Not SUCH a big hole. 1 square meter plus a bit. It could turn into an awesome sponge filter in no time.

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
I'd be worried about it collecting a lot of sediment etc. I'd probably put some sort of gradient on it or find a suitable container etc.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be worried about it collecting a lot of sediment etc. I'd probably put some sort of gradient on it or find a suitable container etc.
Come to think of it, Alan's idea would work better I think.

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
Im sure all these plans will help the guys with big setups but the cost and trouble if you have a small setup like I have(300L) will ground these plans. If you want to pump water underground through a longish pipe you will need a big costly pump on top if all the piping and digging.

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
I think some guys are just going to be forkin out for a chiller again this summer...