Breeding marine fish legal

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was told by someone the other day that it is illegal to breed marine fish in South Africa. Is this true?

Regards

Dude that is a different can of worms you are opening there. I know one of the members was in hot water around this subject and some complicated legal battles with regards to this. I can't remember all the details but would rather leave this for the more experienced guy in this department to answer.

Its the same as breeding dogs.

Big difference if you got one dog, serviced by one of the neighbors mongrels. And you are selling the puppies. And if you got 35 bitches in kennels. Still the same thing in essence but different laws apply. First case its not your income, second example its a major part of your income.

Home hobbyist can breed clowns and cardinals. No problem.

Reactions: EFJ
Hi,

I would appreciate it if someone could shed some more light on the subject.

Some questions:
1. Is it legal or illegal? Are there specific laws that govern this? What are they, and where can one find more information on the details/specifics?
2. If this is not legal, what is the reasoning behind it - surely it makes more sense to breed and sell captive bred fish than endangering species because of over-catching?
3. If it is not legal, is it the breeding, selling, or both that is prohibited?
4. Can one not apply for a permit to breed and sell?
5. Would the answers above be different for different species of fish?

Would appreciate some more information and comments on this.

Regards

Heres a good link to read, may answer some of your questions: http://www.nda.agric.za/doaDev/sideMenu/fisheries/03_areasofwork/Aquaculture/AquaPolGuidLeg/AquaPolicyGuide/The User Friendly Legal Guideline for the Aquaculture Sector in South Af....pdf

However, the laws detailed in that deal with indigenous species on a large scale, using flow through coastal based systems. Rules change somewhat when doing small scale, imported species in a closed system. Applying for a full aquaculture permit costs tens of thousands and that excludes things like land use plans, EIA's etc.

Last edited:
It basically comes down to the Taxman. Does the government get their cut in your income. As long as its not a major part of your income its of no concern. Same as other hobbies that had not yet bloomed into an obsession hobby that becomes a full time job. Permits are just another form of state income.

Plus a whole lot of other laws and regulations. For aquaculture freshwater fish on large scale, you must provide documents outlining how you prevent fish escaping. How many local population do you employ. What is their shareholding. Lot of BEE stuff.

Think about it this way, if breeding was illegal then you can be fined for your copepod population growing. Or even for your Aiptasia taking over.

My curiosity was mainly around breeding and selling of ornamental marine fish. So, by the sounds of it, it's more of a tax issue than anything else? Thanks, will have a look at the link.

if you want to sell anything you would need to apply for an aquaculture permit, open or closed system. if you want to breed any local species this would be a very difficult story...
unless you are a groundbreaking fish breeder, there aren't many ornamental species to choose from that have been bred in captivity.

Theoretically I don't think so, a guy found out the hard way a few years ago trying to breed albino clownfish on an industrial scale. I highly doubt any green police will really worry too much if you do it small scale and not on a full scale commercial basis, they have worse things to worry about (lobster/abalone poaching etc) than a guy selling 20 clowns a month. Same can probably be said for growing, fragging and selling corals or anemones, basically just a form of breeding.

Clowns yes.

I know some had tried Banggai Cardinals

But that is it. Do not know of any other species bred in South Africa.

Back
Top Bottom