bleached nennie

Reaction score
i bought a bleached nenni about 6+months ago i just thought it was a cool white nennie.
this guy dose not stick to any rock or any thing it half clings but barely ever since i had it
but it eats ok and opens up (spreads out) never stands up.And it does not like the light, and it is getting a bit of brown on some tenticals. Will this nennie ever come right

thanks

Please list your lighting in detail, do you know what type of anemone it is? Can you post a photo of it?

The fact that it is still alive after 6 months is a good sign. The brown on the tentacles is also a good sign, that means it is regaining some of it's lost zooxanthellae which it needs to survive. What are you feeding it and how often and what size is the food?

Please post as many of your water parameters that you can, in particular alkalinity, nitrate, ph, salinity and water temperature if you can.

ill try get a pic it is behind a rock will a old pic be fine

Last edited:
my salinity is 1.024 water 25C
i cant give any other parameters coz my wife will kill me i will give tomorrow and i did a water change today so it will all be wrong i think.

viper you will know this one

this nennie got sucked up on my power head a few months back

lights
1x 30wat sylvania coralstar 3ft
2x 30wat triplus 3ft
1x 18wat sera blue sky royal 2ft
1x 18wat sera deap sea 2ft
no serious lighting

i feed them lance fish for a long time now only that, once or twice a week and not big pieces
this nennie has gone through a lot

Last edited:
You are lacking in lighting. Please give us details of your tank so that we can give you a better idea of what lighting you need. Also, slowly increase the salinity to 1.026.

what details do you need like the size or what i got in it and i will start to increase the salinity thanks

Yes, an old photo will be fine, just so we can ID the anemone and determine what it's requirements are, but as Brenda said, your lighting is severely inadequate for any anemone at the moment. Your tank is not too deep so depending on what type of anemone it is, you may be ok with replacing all of your lights with 6 x 54w T5's, if you can fit 6 in as your tank is not very wide, otherwise you are going to have to consider two 150w MH's.

Anemone's in our aquariums survive and live primarily off of the light source we provide them, they rely greatly on high powered lighting that can provide high amounts of PAR (Photosynthetically Available Radiation) and PUR (Photosynthetically Usable Radiation). This can only be obtained from sufficient good quality brand named T5 tubes or Metal Halide lighting. Without light, these animals will die. If you do some reading up on zooxanthellae (I hope that's spelt right :p) you will understand how important it is that anemone's are provided with a lot of good light.

Your anemone seems to be a survivor, so let's try and keep him or her alive :) Post a photo or two so we can ID it first and we can then move forward from there. :thumbup1:

It does take a while to save a nennie, I have bought a sick bleached long tenticale nennie 2 months ago, and slowelly it has began to get brown tenticales again, stands up, and very happy at night, opens alot at night...so glad it going good, stem is almost purple now...

Sounding good dude but i reccommend feeding and more feeding. remember the nennie is bleached, you can give it alot of light but it wont really be able to use it all without its zooxanthalle, so feed heavily until more colour appears then cut back and increase lighting

sorry to drop in but quick question got 3*39W REEFTECH T5'S N 2*24W TANK IS 380DEEP IS THIS okay 2 keep anemone

picture.php

sorry to drop in but quick question got 3*39W REEFTECH T5'S N 2*24W TANK IS 380DEEP IS THIS okay 2 keep anemone

Do the bulbs have individual reflectors? How many of the bulbs are actinic? Will the lights cover most of the tank? What species were you thinking about keeping?

One like ashleys or radianthis or sabe all have reflectors

A Radianthus is actually a H. magnifica and is not going to survive long term with your lighting. Out of all of the different species, this one requires the most intense lighting.

H. malu and H. crispa are commonly called Sebae and can be difficult to find healthy ones because harvesting and shipping is very harsh on these anemones.

What are the other dimensions of your tank? Do you know what bulb combination you will be using?

K so what can i keep bec got 2true percula needs 2 host in aennie else gonna kill my frogspawn tank 380 heigh 900 lenght 500 deep lights 1whtie 1 blue 39w.......1white 1blue 29w and 1 atinic 39w all reeftech with reflectors

K so what can i keep bec got 2true percula needs 2 host in aennie else gonna kill my frogspawn tank 380 heigh 900 lenght 500 deep lights 1whtie 1 blue 39w.......1white 1blue 29w and 1 atinic 39w all reeftech with reflectors

I would go with an E. quadricolor. The E. quadricolor will attach to your live rock, so you can adjust your aquascaping so that it can climb higher up in the tank. Because your tank has a depth of 500mm, I think you will be lacking in lighting with any other species. If you were to add more T5 bulbs, you could safely go with a Macrodactyla doreensis or H. crispa if you were able to locate a healthy one.

All of the above is assuming that your tank is mature, the water parameters are where they need to be and that you routinely give the anemone appropriate food.

Just so you know, there is no guarantee that your clownfish will leave the frogspawn and take to the anemone. Your chances are good, but not guaranteed. You may need to sump the frogspawn for a few days to give the clowns a chance to explore to better your odds. ;)

Back
Top Bottom