A student with a strict budget...

stiff plastic garden netting. those green or white ones from garden center. So that it is against the side and water do not fall down between net and glass, but rather run down the net.

Got some red sea substrate. Going to seed it with my existing substrate.

IMG_20170627_135140.jpg

First, get your skimmer.
Then plan the sump around the skimmer footprint.

Cheato area water depth can be a lot deeper. I like the center chamber to be almost the same depth as the first chamber.

Thats if I can find a good skimmer at a reasonable price, for now I decided to go skimmerless

What sort of system are you planning on running? Ie softies lps sps mixed?

I don't have a skimmer in my lps nano. All I run is aqua forest carbon, aquaforest phos-, matrix stones and a big ball of chaeto.

It is really not needed in a lps nano if you don't over feed. And if you want proof go look at my lps nano in my signature. Can't argue proof haha.

I am only planning on adding a skimmer to my sps nano as I am running it on low nutrient.

Last edited:
Sorry I see you already have the skimmer. The tunze ghost skimmer you have willwork perfect in the nano. My brother has one running in his nano with his carpet anem

Last edited:
Does tumbling the cheato make a difference?

There is some flow in my refuge but probably not enough to cause a tumble

Mine doesn't tumble. However I have added water proof tubes to the chaeto chamber and even though is doesn't tumble all of It is always under light

Thanks @RiaanP will make them higher.

@Ferret I was planning on using the tunze 9002 but it stopped working. I plan on going mixed reef and religious weekly water changes. I do have that standard aquaria 102 skimmer but not sure how it performs. I have matrix stones already.

I have an old Tunze 9011 skimmer you can have for R400 if you are interested (in working condition, but pretty old), will ship Postnet to Postnet at your expense if you want.

hotdog83 if reefer 101 doesn't take the skimmer, I'd be interested.

This is the outlet nozzle from the return pump. What plumbing can I use for return pipe? If its pvc how would I ensure the end from the noozle will have a tight fit into the pvc? Im not sure if I'm making sense

IMG_20170719_131840.jpg

If you want to use rigid PVC pipe then you will need to change that adapter. For rigid piping I would use an adapter with thread on both ends that goes into the pump, and then a union with thread on the one side to screw onto the pump and smooth on the other side where you can glue the pipe into.

If you want to use that adapter then you can use the clear flexible pvc pipe or potentially the pipe used for irrigation. The irrigation one is not as flexible as the clear but wont grow algae on the inside.

Last edited:
Rather use soft tubing for first few centimeters after return, it will also lessen vibration and pump noise a bit IME.

Short length of 20mm clear silicone pipe in hot water will slip over that and be fine when cool yku cannadd a cable tie while the pie is soft and it will prevent slippage on the other end u do the same to slide in the 20mm rigid pipe and you good to go.

Have done this on my 8000 dc pump and still solid.

The silicone piece does help with vibrations as mentioned above and also provides leeway incase u need to shift it a bit later.

So its been delaying for abit now. Finally got my stand ready. I picked up a free basic sump, will see how this goes for now. So this morning was transferring everything into this tank. It took a lot of time to empty one nano move it and filling the new nano up. I can only imagine the guys with big tanks doing a transfer. Thankfully I sold most of my frags.
So this is what it currently looks like. More pics to come tomorrow when water is clearer.

IMG_20170804_213201.jpg

Back
Top Bottom