A student with a strict budget...

Reaction score
Hi im Reefer101, for those who dont know me or never met me..im Avi.
I am a student with a very small budget, but I guess if you addicted to the hobby you will find ways to meet the reef requirements.

I am starting a new nano. I have the tank and some equipment bought recently. Still awaiting the white wooden stand to be made.

What I do have:
  • Tank
  • Heater 100watts
  • Improvedlivingpe led still on current tank.
  • Sebo wavemaker 1000-3000L/h
  • A flow pump to give chaeto in the sump a tumble
  • Bubble magus rock pump
  • Tunze 9002 skimmer and juwel 3.0 skimmer. Still undecided on which to use.
This may take some time to put together. Once done, only frags will be put into the tank to grow out.

The overflow is bulky and takes up estate but theres not much I can do about that. Using a stockman overflow plumbing.

IMG_20170104_221827.jpg

Cool stuff, just like I started. Luckily you are close to the coast, so can collect some really nice soft corals and zoas for free.

Hello And Welcome.

Being at the coast can save you a few bucks. But before you add any locally caught fish, ID them first properly.

Do you have a spare piece of black ABS sheet, to put on the overflow box to hide it.

I think that purple coral might be matting asterospicularia coral. I don't know of anyone that has kept any long term, normally just shrink and die in tank.

Yea I tried myself zoas still doing fine but that Xenia is impossible and be careful with those domsel looking fish they are real issues

I got the second edition of that book. Always goes with me down to the coast. My book does not look so good anymore, had a slight water accident a couple of years ago. But do agree , this book is a must have.

Guys I tested the tank today with overflow. Must say stockman overflow is silent. But im having this waterfall noise from the overflow walls hitting the bottom. How can I fix this?

Raise your stockman so that the water enters at a higher point.

Last edited:
Does tumbling the cheato make a difference?

There is some flow in my refuge but probably not enough to cause a tumble

Last edited by a moderator:
you can put a net or eggcrate on the inside so that the water run down the net. Instead of falling down into the chamber.

Back
Top Bottom