700mm "cube" Reef tank build

Reaction score
So, been doing the research, getting some tips from very helpful members and I have started to build my first marine tank. I got the sump design from Visser and the rest from various sources.

The DT will be 700 x 630 with the water height at 550 (230 litre)

The sump a total of 60 litre

The design:

SystemAssembly1.jpg

SystemAssembly2.jpg

SystemAssembly3.jpg

I have finished the stand (Meranti sealed with woodoc):

Stand1.jpg

Stand2.jpg

When all is done I will cover it in wallnut or teak.

The tank is being made by the guys at PetstopSA, hopefully I will get it this week.

The lighting will be DIY Led using 34 CREE Leds, driven by Mean Well power supplies controlled by an Anduino board using PWM.

The rest of the equipment:

Reef Octopus Skimmer (rated for a 400l tank)
Seio Powerhead rated 3800 l/h
Hailea HX-6530 Pump 1750 l/h
300 Watt heater

Hi and welcome. The design of tank and sump looks great. The sump are you going to build it your self. See you already have a small tank you going to use for the sump. @ Visser sump design :thumbup:

Hi bud, looking great! Glad i could help you with the design!
You did a great job with the wooden stand as well. Will be keeping a close eye on your build!!!

Cool! Thats a nice height for a cube... Mine is at 900, but my cube is shallower than yours so it works out about the same total height!

Keep up the good work!

Cool! Thats a nice height for a cube... Mine is at 900, but my cube is shallower than yours so it works out about the same total height!

Keep up the good work!

Hahaha, that is cool! Will keep you guys posted! Just been informed that the tank is finished and tested.

Last edited:
Love the concept and looks of the wooden frame.

Are you not worried that it will warp or crack with the heat and humidity produced by the sump?

Thank you.

I was concerned about this when I decided on wood, but I over engineered the stand, it should be able to handle about 6 times the weight of the tank with a vertical load and about 3 times under eccentric loads. Also gave it 6 coats of wax based water repellent sealant, so hopefully all will be well!

Tank looking GREAT!!! Cant wait to see this one up & running!

Looking good, weekend is far away.

Did you use SketchUp for the drawing? Would you mind sharing your plan?

Thanks, i used solidworks. No problem on the plans, send me your email and ill send you the drawings.

Who built the tank for you??? Nice job!

The guys at PetstopSA, and i agree, they did a great job.

Back
Top Bottom