Glynn Formans 17000L Reef

Whew !! getting into this website takes longer then building the tank !!!
The system has been running 12 weeks now .. been through the brown then green algae stage .. calc pink algae now gaining traction in the low light areas. fish load is still low at 11 goldies 4 tangs 4 wrasses 6 cardinals for now. Did my first water change 900l (7%) struggling to maintain calc and dkh @ 7 and above as the new lights are producing major calcification rates .. this should settle as the bulbs age a little.
The engine room is similar to previous only larger 4500l sump. I have a 900l settle out sump which doubles as the water change sump (it can be bypassed while making the RO water over night) .. it then overflows to a 1000l live rock refugium then to a 2000 litre DSB/coral quaranteen section . then last section for antiphos carbon and 2 return pumps. There is also 60kg of vertical aragonite which is used to co2 strip the calcium reactor and neutralize the denitrifier. The rest of the recirculation is drawn from the settling sump floor directly into the skimmer which then free flows back to the other side of the aquarium total flow 23500l per hour. I keep the head height btween the sump and tank at 750mm to maximize flow rates and power usage 400watts. A feed pump supplies flow to the carbon/antiphos reactors at 60l/hour .. the calcium reactor at 40l/hour and the fish quarantine set up tank 130l. This tank is disconected from the main system when new fish are added . it has its own trickle filter. the water is reduced to 50% salinity. When the fish are ready the flow is reconnected which brings the q.t. to tank conditions in about 5 hours.

Lighting on the SPS is 16 t5 (20k and 10k) 9 to 9pm. 2 x150w 13k 10 to 8.45pm and 8 X 250watt 16k 4 to 8.30pm. The lps side is similar but 14 T5s , 2X150watts and 5 X250watt halides. Flow in the tanks is 5x15000l prop pumps SPS and 3 x pumps on the LPS side all on a variable wave system with night slow down.

What else ... 15l kalkstrirrer set on intermittent night top of ..50l per day at the mo !! Hopefully comes down in summer:p. Reefdoser adding strontium/trace/magnesium/iodine twice a day. Skimmer mazzei system 400l volume drawing 8000l air an hour .. does not skim at night 12 to 7 am . Electronics .. measure contnous PH and temp. MV controls the denitrifier in the correct oxygen zone and conductivity meter for salinty control .

Thanks Al for posting .. if you had left it to me ...???

Ps this IS my last tank .. promise

wow thats a hectic list of things you have there, and you make it sound really simple and easy. I for one hope this isnt your last tank, watching your builds is fantastic reading:)

and yes, thanks al for posting, leaving glynn to look after that salt water pond is a good idea:)

thanks for bringing such a fantastic tank to the forum:)

wow wow wooow this is super fantastic im drooling over my keyboard as i type here

Thank you Glynn. For interesting sake alone...lol, is there any way you can elaborate more on your wave system???? Maybe Alan can post a pic with a short description:notworthy:

Right nearing the end of the set up, there is nothing like a brand new system and imagining what it will be like one day. Now the last time i saw this tank it was looking a little more established already.

24accc14fbf2df.jpg

Sorry was called for dinner, anyways one for the newbies, no matter how much experience you got your tank is going to cycle and go through the algae stage.
24accd55b8553c.jpg

Now this is what a 400L skimmer looks like, will have to get there to do some comparative pics, that thing is almost the size of a 44 Gallon drum. The venturi pump is the size of a pool pump

24accd5fed3203.jpg

Very nice display. would like to see it when fish is added

Skimmer mazzei system 400l volume drawing 8000l air an hour .. does not skim at night 12 to 7 am .

Awesome build Glynn!!!

It may be a newbie question but why not skim at night, is it to allow some of the corals to feed and the pods to do their thing without getting skimmed???

Don't give up on a new tank yet. You may be on your way to putting Ushaka out of business :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously...........seriously...............This is the most ridiculous thing I think I've ever seem. I showed the wife this thread and she things Glynn is nuts but still thinks I'm nuts with a 450l tank. I thought I'd show her a little perspective. I was wrong. I'm watching this thread with childish excitement. Shot Alan for the updates :yeahdude:

pads i did the exact same think and said to her "you think i mad"
brilliant thread thanks alan

Stunning Glynn, a couple question if I may.

1. Any reason why you turn your skimmer off at night?

2. You mentioned you run your QT tank at 50% SG, thats about 1.012-1.013, is this correct? and have you had any problems raising it up in only 5hrs?

Thanks again!

Incredible Aquarium congratulations Glynn, may it bring you many years of enjoyment, are you using chillers to control the temp?

i assume you are of course using the "Aquamedic t5 lights" do they make units similar to the ati ones with multiple(more than 5-6) T5 lamps in one unit?

i stood in front of the old one and was speechless im sure id probably just pass out from excitement if i ever saw this one in person..

cant wait to see those corals grow as big as the last ones did..

I was fortunate enough to see the old tank twice. Unfortunately i won't be that lucky with this monster.

Thanks for the photos. This will turn into an awesome tank.

congrats, this is a totally awesome setup!

Back
Top Bottom