Would this be an option for your DSB?

Reaction score
I have thought about something and want to get your opinion on it.

Do you think one can use the sand from a sandblasting place for your DSB. It gets even more fine the more they use it. You get some so fine , it is almost like a powder.

What about it? Your thoughts please.

Sanders

I would not. There is a definite lower limit on the smallest particle before it packs so densely the microorganisms cannot move in it, and water cannot flow downward so the biological filter shuts off. IIRC the desired size is between 0.050mm to 0.20mm. The stuff you are talking about is like clay less than 0.004 mm.

Agree with above, and another thing to consider is what is the sand made up of and does it contain any metals.

Agreed, if you dont know what is in it dont use it.

I have a source of fine white calcite sand (coarse as Durban beach sand) and another finer version that works very nicely in a DSB.

Its mined, and will not help buffer your tank, but its pretty pure and its white. I have it in the bottom of one tank as a substrate too.

I have a source of fine white calcite sand (coarse as Durban beach sand) and another finer version that works very nicely in a DSB.

Its mined, and will not help buffer your tank, but its pretty pure and its white. I have it in the bottom of one tank as a substrate too.

You do not perhaps have a close-up pic of the sand where one will bw able to see the grain size?

well they snd balst metal so you are not getting fine sand but very fine rust with it as well i dont think the rust powder can be very good for your fish or other friends

Back
Top Bottom