Why you should not go on Holiday

Reaction score
Got this piece from the Reefkeeping monthly online magazine. Thought good to share it...Quite funny:

[SIZE=+2]Top Ten Reasons Why Reefkeepers Should Never Go On Vacation... (Part II)[/SIZE]

10) They can't afford it!
nmbeg of Milwaukee, WI

9) Saltcreep from the sump will cause a short in one of the powerstrips, causing it to light the stand on fire, boil your fish and corals in the 75-gallon while the sump's pump continues to pump boiling water to your satellite 10-gallon tank and kills those fish also, then catch the wall on fire and have the water in the tank boil out and put out the fire and cause $120,000.00 in damage... all in a matter of 10 minutes!
jdmcivicek9 of 9°N, 108°W AKA Somewhere in Colorado

8) Because the last time I went on vacation my teenage son's friend that was watching the tank thought that milk was a good source of calcium.
newly salted of Jim Thorpe, PA

7) Ahhhhhh, sand and seawater between my toes, a sunburn, jetlag and a hangover - all expected things... unless you're standing in your living room!
tecoral of Here and There

6) Why spend money to go swim with the same things that are in your living room? Oh, wait! The trip to the sea is cheaper!
phil5613 of Wheaton, IL

5) Because when the tank sitter says your tank isn't making any noise, you start to realize that the cost of replacing your lost "LE" corals will be more than the vacation for a family of five to Disney for a week. Ask me how I know.
drouner of Lawrenceville, GA

4) The #1 reason? DIVORCE! Because your dang mother-in-law (who was watching your tank) thought the cute little Nemo needed half the container of food to keep "fit" and ended up killing Nemo, his friends and his home!!
RevHtree of Chattanooga, TN.

3) I am paranoid enough that I am not doing everything right. How in the heck can I trust anybody else?
tabwyo of Riverton, Wyoming

2) The moment you leave your house, the Aqua Gremlins sneak in and have a wild party. They all get drunk on Kalkwasser and proceed to:
  • <LI style="FONT-FAMILY: Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif">Scare your fish so they jump out <LI style="FONT-FAMILY: Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif">Push over the Hydnophora on your prized purple Acropora <LI style="FONT-FAMILY: Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif">Open the CO2 valve another turn <LI style="FONT-FAMILY: Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif">Chew on the temperature sensor so the controller thinks it's 68 degrees and turns on the heater
  • And lastly, shove a brittle star into your standpipe so your tank overflows, shorting out your entire electrical system so you get a welcome-back surprise when you return.
Peter Honig a.k.a Tech Diver of Concord, MA

1) You just might come home to your dog barking its head off at something in the corner, only to realize that a crab managed to get out and when your dog turns around you fall to the floor laughing because he has one of its claws stuck to his nose, and he can't get to it to pay him back! That's funny! I don't care who you are.
bigginapk of Mount Dora, FL

I suppose we can add Eishcom to that list as well

Very funny, but also very scary - so, who is going away this year.........:ninja:

And The first one (Part 01):

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+2]Top Ten Reasons Why You Should Never Go On Vacation If You Own A Reef Tank...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

10) You're best friend thought your lionfish was cute and wanted him to nibble on his fingers.
miamishrip of Delaware

9) If you ask a fellow reefer to take care of your tank, you may end up being a couple of polyps short when you get back!
sidd129 of Tomahawk, WI.

8) Vacation? How can you "afford" to go on vacation?! You have a reef tank!!?
fiftyfive of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

7) Your LFS waits for you to be out of town, and THAT'S when they have their super-duper, everything you ever wanted, dirt cheap sale!
Serk of Rowlett, TX

6)No matter how much you prepare and detail your routine to a tank sitter, they will feed more just because, "The fish looked hungry!"
Mishap of Pennsylvania

5) I have been unable to train my clowns to answer the cell phone so that I can call and check up on them.
Poorcollegereef of Clemson, SC

4) Vacations just aren't worth it until they come up with an easier way to snorkel and drink beer. It's just more practical to sit in front of the reef tank with a cold one!!! Plus, in the living room you don't have to worry about sharks.
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]zuzecawi of Salem, OR[/FONT]

3) I can think of 100 reasons not to go on vacation, but this one actually happened to me. I had pages and pages of detailed instructions on taking care of my reef tank and my seahorse tank. I made sure there was plenty of freshly-made saltwater (in case of emergency) and RO/DI in the 30-gallon Rubbermaid for top-off, so I didn't have to show her how to work the RO/DI unit or make saltwater. I left for a week in Aruba and forgot to turn off the RO/DI unit, and my basement flooded. I figure after 7 days, I probably ran over 3,000 gallons of water down the floor drain. BLAH!
cinnamongirl of Central PA

2) Because gravity will find a way to suck the water right out of your aquarium and onto the carpet and for the first time in history, your auto top-off will work like a charm to keep the water overflowing!!!!!
Dirt4dinner of Mesa, AZ

1)Light timers - check. Auto top-off reservoir - check. Backup power source - check. Last minute ammonia/nitrate tests - check. Remembering to tell your roommate not to let his friends pour beer in the tank at his next party - not checked.
Nanopodreefer of Canada

Damn Sean,did you have to start this thread.im going away for 2 weeks :(

and one of your reasons for not going away mekaeel should be calvin visiting

im sure mekaeel will have a blast and ill have a great weekend of collecting rare corals

LOL @ Calvin, Dude rape and plunder his fishtank. Leave nothing except memories. Where you off to Miki ?

Back
Top Bottom