Why Should We Quarantine SPS

crap!not again!

Ah the dreaded monti nudis, I asked Anthony Calfo about them and the long and short of his answer is frag the healthy tissue manually remove any eggs and adults on those pieces and chuck the rest and keep checking the fragged pieces for signs of nudis, until you have gone about 4 weeks without them... obviously all this should be done in a QT setup...

Yea remember the question...and i listened carefully to the reply.

So far 3 montis have been klapped. The first one i stuck into quarantine and it croaked... the other two i have dipped and removed the offending bugs and their spawn....and then placed close to the glass allowing good visibility... From what i have seen using my current dip and squirt :001_huh: regime; i know that i can break the cycle 3 x 4 weeks. I will update this thread as i now believe that the intial investation was large and i anticipate further attacks.

Possibly if they were being held in the same tank as some montis that had the nudis, but then I would only expect one or two which your normal dipping should get, or better if you Qt they will die off with no food source, so the possibility should be minimal...

sounds like a plan :lol:

oh and should this tank run fully on something like tropic marine pro coral cure?

After dipping and squirting i now place back in my display tank. I know its stupid... but after loosing one beautiful specimen in quarintine i decided not to take a chance with anything less than optimum water conditions. I have for the time being decided not to frag. This may change

No....but i believe that less than perferct water quality will stress an already stressed monti even more. Thats why i have not quarantined. Besides all my montis have already had the lurgy and some have been dipped more than once. I am lead to believe that my acros are safe. If anyone out there advices otherwise, i will quarantine immediately.

Sean Acro's will be fine. They have their own lurgy which thankfully hasn't surfaced here in SA, that I know of anyway.

Something else you must watch out for. These Monti Nudi's will go into the rock in the area where the monti was and lay eggs. I read an article where it was advised to take the rock out in the vicinity of where the coral was, and treat that too. Not sure how effective that is though.

My advice is keep them close to the glass up front and keep an eye on them. If you see them again frag off the infected section and keep watching.
Remember they feed exclusivley on Montipora corals, without a food source they will die.
Good luck.

Dipping does squat for the nudis, you have to QT!

Dipping does squat for the nudis, you have to QT!

Thanks for confirmation Dragon.

Up until the point that i dipped i could not see individual slugs. Immediately after dipping... they came out of the woodwork and could be seen moving in a helter skelter pattern. I shook the coral briefly without waiting for the recommended 20min and straight away they could be seen in the water column. Clearly unhappy

I then placed the coral on a plate and used a syringe to blast multiple jets at the infected area and the base. Adults can be easily seen, but the juveniles are tiny. This is why i believe there is more than one generation at work. The good news is that the purple monti has already started to repopulate dead skeleton. I will follow up with pics on the weekend

Thanks for confirmation Dragon.

Up until the point that i dipped i could not see individual slugs. Immediately after dipping... they came out of the woodwork and could be seen moving in a helter skelter pattern. I shook the coral briefly without waiting for the recommended 20min and straight away they could be seen in the water column. Clearly unhappy

I then placed the coral on a plate and used a syringe to blast multiple jets at the infected area and the base. Adults can be easily seen, but the juveniles are tiny. This is why i believe there is more than one generation at work. The good news is that the purple monti has already started to repopulate dead skeleton. I will follow up with pics on the weekend

What I meant by dipping does squat is that when you get a new monti, just giving it a dip before adding it to your tank will not help at all it must get QTed...

Back
Top Bottom