Where to dive in/around Durban, and which diving operator to use?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hello all -

This thread is directed at out esteemed fellow reefers, living in/around/close to Durbs...

We're heading that way December (will be based in Port Shepstone - at my mother-in-laws), and doing some driving to Durbs to do some SCUBA diving.

Who can recommend me a dive operator/charter, and what recommendations for dive-spots around Durbs to go and dive?

Both me and my wife are Advanced qualified, so deep dives are no problem....

Many thanks for the suggestions and info, beforehand.
Jacques

try aqua planet in Ushaka,i think they organise dives.dont have the number but you should get it from 1023.

Hi SIMS/Mekaeel.

Thanks for the responses. I was going to try Alpha Planet. I dived with them at Shelley Beach twice end of last year. I did the Protea Banks dive - BUT saw no sharks... can you believe it!?!

Yeah - I would have LOVED to be able to have done Sodwana again (did it beginning of this year/end of last), but we waited too long... no place available.... AND my wife does not want to drive so far - we did a 6000km trip Dec 06/Jan 07... :)

Jacques, maybe send sunburst a PM, I know he is a member of the Durban Underwater Club, I'm sure he should be able to give you some pointers. Also try Roadblock, he's the manager of the Wahoo Dive Club in Durban.

I did the Protea Banks dive - BUT saw no sharks... can you believe it!?!
If its Sharks you want to see, let me know, my son works for a charter company on Aliwal that does Tiger Shark dives. Brandon[my son] is one of their divers, he also knows Aliwal like the back of his hand, i am sure he can organise some good dives.

Jacques, maybe send sunburst a PM, I know he is a member of the Durban Underwater Club, I'm sure he should be able to give you some pointers. Also try Roadblock, he's the manager of the Wahoo Dive Club in Durban.
Thanks, Viper! Will do...

If its Sharks you want to see, let me know, my son works for a charter company on Aliwal that does Tiger Shark dives. Brandon[my son] is one of their divers, he also knows Aliwal like the back of his hand, i am sure he can organise some good dives.

Thanks, Alan... Sounds like a plan - PS: already tried calling you - your cell is on v/mail... ;-)

Guys I can recommend Aliwal Shoal and I think the Charter with which I did my course was Aliwal Dive Charters. Awesome diving. Saw huge rays, some sharks and lots of turtles. Quite a few corals but it was badly damaged apparently after those big waves hit.

Cheers

Hi Andre/Galibore! Thanks man. Yes - we are definitely planning on diving Aliwal too.... Have done about 6 dives on Aliwal already.... I want to dive the 2 wrecks there as well....

I assume we are going to be getting at least 200 photo's of our local diving spots from you :whistling:

Hi All,

Sorry to revive an old thread. I'm visiting Durban from Atlanta, Georgia USA. I hope to do some diving next week while I'm there. I'm hoping to see some raggies/tigers, and also some subtropical reefs. If fortunate, I'd love to see a kingi angelfish in it's natural environment. What dive sites do you all recommend this time of year? I'll be in Umhlanga Rocks area, and would appreciate some dive operator recommendations.

I should add, that my experience level is open water. I've done about 100 dives in Cozumel, Bahamas, and Florida.

Hi Mark - WELL WELL! Welcome to South Africa then!

When you get to Durban - ask the people to take you to the UShaka Aquarium in Durban.
JUST OUTSIDE of the aquarium, is a dive operator.
They should be able to assist you with a few dives (including the hiring of diving gear).

Alternatively - ask around if someone can assist you to take some trips down to Umkomaas..... Umkomaas is the launching area for all diving at the well-known "Aliwal Shoal"...

All of these are ok for OPEN water divers....

Further south you have the Protea Reef... but this is only for advanced divers...

Around Durban you have the following dive sites:
- the barge
- blood reef
- first reef
- veggies/pier reef
And many others...

Don't be a stranger now, you hear!
Post some pics please!!

Thanks Jacques,

I'll check them out. I've done a lot of drift dives, but some of the dive reports from Protea sound a little intimidating. I just got over a cold, so I may have to take it slow to the bottom. I gather that with Protea, it's important to get to the appropriate depth quick.

I have read that Durban gets some tropical species during the summer months. For a Caribbean diver, it would be exciting to see some tropical Indian Ocean fish and photograph them.

Hi Mark - no - not 100% correct. Durban's waters ARE TROPICAL.... So you should get to see tropical marine fish all year round.
The water temperature difference around Durban or Umkomaas is +-22 to 25/26 degrees celsius (where 22 degrees celsius in winter-time - this is aound June/July/August, and 25/26 degrees celsius during summertime - this is from November/December/January/February)....

Back
Top Bottom