Upgrade advice

I got they tank drilled jaquesb, I cracked it when I turned the heater towards it . . :( I got a new 1.8 m tank yay :) !!

Why cant i just drill a hole near the top of the tank where the water should exit the main system instead of drilling a hole in the bottom and fitting a piece of glass to create an overflow ? All the petshops' tanks are built like the first way mentioned above.?

Hi ImAmAClown - congrats with your new tank. YES - of course you can. You don't HAVE to drill it at the bottom. It's all up to you. There's someone on here who has an AWESOME AWESOME SPS tank (I saw recently), and this person has 4 outlets which he drilled at the top of the tank - one on each of the panels (rear, and side) in the top left and right corners of the tank. It is here where his water exists to the sump and skimmer...... So this should work JUST as well... You don't HAVE to have a over-flow.... IT is just that the over-flows work well with "surface skimming". BUT, if you drill the holes at the right place, you will get good surface skimming from these holes as well....

thanks jaquesb and every1 who helped !! I now have a 1,8m yay and a drilled hole at the top for water to drain. I'm filling it with water atm!

btw, awesome forum u guys got going.. !

come on pics please dude! :)

Welcome ImAClown. Thanks for the compliment.

Another reason for overflows is they're usually easier to quiten than holes in the side at the top.
Seeing as you already have a hole at the top you should try and find one of those pieces of plumbing that looks sort of like a Y, and a 45 degree bend. You can then close off the top of the Y piece with a small hole and a tap and adjust it similarly to a durso standpipe (google it). The Y should already be quiter than just a plain T piece sideways design.

overflow.JPG

overflow.JPG

Back
Top Bottom