TL550 owners, what's in your sump?

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by munch, 27 Jun 2014.

1. munch

munch

What do you have in each sump chamber? Lets label it 1 through 4 with compartment 1 on the left(output chamber) and 4 on the right(input chamber).

I removed the large sponge as I heard it's a nitrate factory. Otherwise:

1. Just the sump pump. UV is connected but it's broken.
    2. Heater and 10 bio balls
    3. Skimmer
    4. Nothing

My tank is still cycling(with live rock) so not sure what to put in. I heard filter floss in 4 replaced weekly keeps the water clean. What else do I need or should I return the sponge. Also the bio ball I just put in because I got them with the tank. Not sure if needed. They also just seem to float around. I also believe the heater in 4 is the best location because there is the most water movement.

Oh and the previous owner drilled holes in chamber 4 top to bottom. So water enters anywhere not just from the top. Not sure what the reasoning was maybe to prevent the sump running dry due to clogging.

Also my pump is in the bottom of chamber 4 and there does not appear to be water movement in the top of that chamber as the water is pumped up through a pipe back into the tank. So that water is very stagnant. Is that a good thing?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Qball_V1.0

Qball_V1.0

1. Return pump and temp probe for stc-1000 temp controller
    2. Purigen in stocking, pump for external Waterboy uv-x with phoshate and carbon reactors
    And a 150w heater
    3. Tunze 9004 skimmer
    4. Black coarse sponge at the top with thin duvet batting to catch detritus and pickup pump for dolphin slim line HOB filter (my refugium) and another 150w heater and chiller feed pump

Toss the bioballs dude. They can become a nitrate factory.
    Put phosphate remover and carbon in stockings in no.2. Try let them hang down instead of jyst lying at the bottom. That way they wont slow the water flow at the bottom from chamber 2 to 1 and they will have better water flow around them.
    The filter floss in chamber 4 is a good idea imo. I do the same. But rather change it every 3 to 4 days as it can clogg quite quickly and slow the flow.
    Also, if you keep the heater in chamber 2, make sure it is right at the bottom as when water evaporates, chambers 1 and 2 get lower and could expose your heater. If you can, rather transfer it to chamber 4 as the water level is always constant in that chamber and no risk of the heater being exposed.

As for chamber 4 being drilled, the older tl550 came out like this. I dont really like it as you battle to stop detritus entering your chambers. Whereas if it enters just from the top, it is much easier to catch with the filter floss. Also, you will have better surface skimming if it enters only from the top.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2014
    easylogin48 likes this.
  4. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

TL-550 LED ver.

1. 1 x small bag Sera Marin Siporax Rings, Retun pump to tank, return pump to chamber no.4, UV-Filter
    2. The big sponge that came with the tank chopped into 4 pieces, in between every piece I added the following. Purigen, Carbon. Plans to add Phos remover and custom refugium.
    3. Stock Boyu Skimmer, for now it is tuned in and doing a great job. Maybe upgrade to the Tunze 9004, 1 x small bag Sera Marin Siporax Rings
    4. Filter wool to catch the big stuff, then a course sponge, then 5 x bags Sera Marin Siporax Rings

System has now been running 4 months
    [​IMG]

5. Nabzo

Nabzo

So Bioballs should it be take out or can it be left inside ?

6. munch

munch Thread Starter

I see there are divided opinions on Siporax Rings. hansiemyburgh what is you thoughts about this?

Recent Posts