The long road...

Fish can be acclimatsed over an hour, not as sensitive as inverts.

Feed twice a day, the amount will be as much food as they eat in 20-30 seconds.

The organic bacteria may be an option to speed up the cycle.

Nah, gotta go fetch them today. I'm just cheesed as this is exactly what I didn't want to do. I only wanted to start with 1 - 2 fish after 8 weeks. Now i've got no choice. I'll keep an eye on the parameters everyday for the next 2 weeks. What and how do I feed these guys? I assume they must be fed twice a day? I 'm just asking as i've got no experience with these fish. I'll post pics later tonigh after they've acclimatised. I'm thinking to let them acclimatise for 3 - 4 hours?

Fish can be acclimatsed over an hour, not as sensitive as inverts.

Feed twice a day, the amount will be as much food as they eat in 20-30 seconds.

The organic bacteria may be an option to speed up the cycle.

I'm already using Seachem Stability, would I need to then use this other product still?

I'm already using Seachem Stability, would I need to then use this other product still?

No that Seachem product will give your tank loads of bacteria, stay with it and you should be cool.

the General treatment used in conjunction with the Bacteria food from the Organic Aqua range helps rapidly remove amonia and nitrites,which makes the water less toxic.it worked for me on my SPS tank.

Brief Update 07/07/2008.

All inmates are in and seem to be doing fine this morning. The wrasse has dissapeared under the substrate but I'm sure he'll come out when he feels a little more comfortable. I'll check all parameters this evening and post.:thumbup:

Hello Jaak - oh well things don't ALWAYS go as we planned. BUT, at least you still have SeaChem Stability to assist you :)

Just keep a very close eye to on the water parameters..... BUT, I am quite sure that things will be ok. At this stage 3 fish were indeed a little bit much to add. But, your tank might even surprise you! ;-)

Keep us updated, mate!

Nice meeting you at Richard's house.

Hello Jaak - oh well things don't ALWAYS go as we planned. BUT, at least you still have SeaChem Stability to assist you :)

Just keep a very close eye to on the water parameters..... BUT, I am quite sure that things will be ok. At this stage 3 fish were indeed a little bit much to add. But, your tank might even surprise you! ;-)

Keep us updated, mate!

Nice meeting you at Richard's house.
Likewise!! Good to meet some of the guys on MASA. I've got better news. I just took the twin spot wrasse out and i'm taking him to LFS. This fish practically jumped into my net it took me about a minute to catch him!! I know i'm flippen lucky to have gotten him out so easily without removing any of the LR. Now i'm down to 2 little clowns and that's it for a good couple of weeks. I'll only look at more fish in 6 - 8 weeks time. Now just to keep an eye on the Parameters!

Water Parameters 07/07/2008

Ahoy

Water Parameters 07/07/2008

Ahoy.

After all the new inmates that came in on the weekend I tested my water again last night. Took the twin spot wrasse to my LFS yesterday, only have 2 clowns in at present and also the 5 hermit's I added on the weekend too. Here's the results:
Temp: 25
Salinity: 1.024
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0mg/l
Nitrite: 0mg/l
Nitrate: 0mg/l
Phosphate: 0mg/l
Calcium: 400mg/l

All good so far. Will test ammonia & PH again tonight. If there's a spike then i'll test all otherwise only test all again on Wednesday. I'll try get some PH buffer to try and up it a bit. Any suggestions?

Use BiCarb will get your pH up, but in saying that, it is not bad where it is.

Well done with your new inmates :thumbup:

Use BiCarb will get your pH up, but in saying that, it is not bad where it is.

Well done with your new inmates :thumbup:
Thanks Warr!! What's the ratio of bicarb to water that I should add?

Thanks Warr!! What's the ratio of bicarb to water that I should add?

I would suggest dosing one TSP of BiCarb and see how this effects your pH. Either ramp up your dosing or drop depending on how your water column reacts.

I dose either in my top-up chamber or in my overflow box, depending on the "urgency" and tank requirement.

Just remember as per most thinks good in marines, take your time. If you have rapid pH swings you can harm your future inmates.

I would suggest dosing one TSP of BiCarb and see how this effects your pH. Either ramp up your dosing or drop depending on how your water column reacts.

I dose either in my top-up chamber or in my overflow box, depending on the "urgency" and tank requirement.

Just remember as per most thinks good in marines, take your time. If you have rapid pH swings you can harm your future inmates.
Cool, thanks Warr. I think i'll just give it another week or 2.

Water Parameters 09/07/2008

Ahoy,

All new inmates are doing fine, hermits are doing their thing and the clowns have started eating a day ago. Here's later water tests:

Temp:25
Ammonia: 0 mg/l
Calcium: 380 mg/l
kH: 5dkH

Am i mistaken or does it look like my cycle might be over!?

Last edited:
Ahoy,

All new inmates are doing fine, hermits are doing their thing and the clowns have started eating a day ago. Here's later water tests:

Temp:25
Ammonia: 0 mg/l

Nice, very Niiiice ;)

Nice, very Niiiice ;)
Thanks Warr!! I edited my last post this morning as my 3G just disconnected last night and would not reconnect again. I just put in the rest of the parameters.

Water Parameters 14/07/2008

Water Parameters on 14/07/08:

Temp: 25
Ammonia: 0.03mg/l
Calcium: 360mg/l
Carbonate Hardness: 6dKH

Back