Sump design

Reaction score
I am planning a sump and have the followinf in mind. Please give any commens / critisism and suggestions?

1587149084931.png

I would make the return smaller and refugium larger.
My thoughts as well. You only really need enough space for return pump, ATO, and any other extras like dosing pipes etc.. Is the ATO compartment an RO reservoir or the chamber where the float/optical switches for the ATO will be? If so rather just place it in the return pump compartment. That way you save space. If you don't, just remember, the last baffle must then be an "under" baffle, as the ATO compartment has to be able to fluctuate its water level with the return compartment.

Last edited:
My thoughts as well. You only really need enough space for return pump, ATO, and any other extras like dosing pipes etc.. Is the ATO compartment an RO reservoir or the chamber where the float/optical switches for the ATO will be? If so rather just place it in the return pump compartment. That way you save space. If you don't, just remember, the last baffle must then be an "under" baffle, as the ATO compartment has to be able to fluctuate its water level with the return compartment.
The ATO chamber is the container for to water. The float switch will be in the return chamber.

Last edited:
This was a sump I designed and built for a friend. Was for a 900 x 900 cube. Works perfectly and was designed in such a way to maximize refugium size but cater for all equipment as well as ato ro water.

Last edited:
This was a sump I designed and built for a friend. Was for a 900 x 900 cube. Works perfectly and was designed in such a way to maximize refugium size but cater for all equipment as well as ato ro water.
Thank you very much for sharing this. I will definately review! I can allready see improvements here! Thank you :cool:

Do you perhaps still have the dimensions of the chanber etc?

Do you perhaps still have the dimensions of the chanber etc?
Happy to share.

I do yes. Pm me your number and I will send you details in the morning. But it is slightly smaller than the main tank so you will have to adjust the dimensions to suit your needs.

Last edited:
Happy to share.

I do yes. Pm me your number and I will send you details in the morning. But it is slightly smaller than the main tank so you will have to adjust the dimensions to suit your needs.
Awesome, thanks. I have send you a pm. Much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom