Sump Design

Reaction score
Hi All

Here is my Sump Design.

Dimensions are 800L 400W 500H. First compartment on the left is 150mm. 2nd is the DSB 300 width and 300mm height. The actual DSB will be 200mm. The last compartment is 250mm. The baffles are 50mm apart. I need some help with the design. What should be changed?

Perfect sump!

Two thing i will be changing in my next sump which might help,
first i would put enougher baffle in the last compartment to prevent bubbles from going into the display tank (a real nusance)
second thing i would leave a little bit of space at the top of each baffle that goes to the top of the sump so if there was a problem with the the space getting clogged (dont know how) the water does not go onto the floor but into the next section. I dont know what would happen but what could makeing it 1-2cm shorter do to the sump? I am going to do this.

Take, dont take your choice.
Good luck.

I would maybe put another baffle in the first compartment like you did with the last compartment in your second design.

Just to help eliminate micro bubbles going back into your display tank..,

Have a look at this sump, simpler to build, more space for a DSB (no Baffles) and works like a bomb. Simple yet effective, you will find a lot of the guys sumps are built like this;)

65491af37e85b2b.jpg

Thanks Kanga. How do I then stop the tiny bubbles from returning to DT

I think Hill changed his last panel. He put it on an angle so the water slopes down to the return compartment. In other words, one side of your DSB will be skew :p

Will there still be micro bubbles in the water after crossing a DSB of at least 40 CM wide? Also with your cheato flowing around above the sand?

Will there still be micro bubbles in the water after crossing a DSB of at least 40 CM wide? Also with your cheato flowing around above the sand?

Depending on how full you run your sump, but new bubbles gets formed when the water drops over the last partition to the return pump ;)

Back
Top Bottom