Skimmer not Skimming

Reaction score
My TS1 has stopped forming skim mate. I replaced my 1000L/h return pump yesterday with a 2500L/h pump to try and help my overflow to surface skim, this it seems to have done but at the expense of my actually skimmer no longer skimming. The overflow is gushing water down into the chamber with the skimmer in and causing a lot of air bubbles could this be a cause on no skim?

Kunhardt - can you please post a pic for us to see?
Have you worked with your hands in your tank?

It could possibly be that the natural oils on your skin have caused this. If this is the case, it would only be for an hour or two.... Don't worry about this....

IF you still have this issue 4 or 5 hours later - then let us know!

That is quite correct Ross - Kunhardt - that could QUITE as well be the case too..... force some RO water and vinegar mix down the airline of the TS1 - this could possibly also resolve the issue.....

Kunhardt - can you please post a pic for us to see?
Have you worked with your hands in your tank?

It could possibly be that the natural oils on your skin have caused this. If this is the case, it would only be for an hour or two.... Don't worry about this....

IF you still have this issue 4 or 5 hours later - then let us know!

I have worked a lot in the tank with my hands over the last 24 hours, with altering the plumbing and adding live stock, i will take your advice and not touch anything in there and see what happens.

That is quite correct Ross - Kunhardt - that could QUITE as well be the case too..... force some RO water and vinegar mix down the airline of the TS1 - this could possibly also resolve the issue.....

Hmm this may be true as well, my fiance accidently got the airline in the water yesterday morning and it sucked up a bit of the tank water, will try this first then leave it till tomorrow and see if there is a difference.

Are there bubbles in the skimmer chamber?
The TS-1 will often clog with salt creep where the air line goes into the pump.

There are bubbles in the chamber, get fine bubbles towards the cup, but it just doesnt seem to form foam.

Here are the pics u requested

1297497c7507ab3c0.jpg

1297497c751a4565f.jpg

1297497c75286d5b1.jpg

Can you open the air valve more? it seem that the skim isn't reaching the cup, when the air pump is closed, where does the water level sit? it needs to be around the base of the neck, yours looks a little low.

I might be wrong but my skimmer reacted differently when i changed the flow into the skimmers chamber and where i directed the flow towards. im running a small Macro algae

Can you open the air valve more? it seem that the skim isn't reaching the cup, when the air pump is closed, where does the water level sit? it needs to be around the base of the neck, yours looks a little low.

Water level is where Jacques told me to set it to when i first got it and has worked well up until this point, will try raise it and see what happens.

I might be wrong but my skimmer reacted differently when i changed the flow into the skimmers chamber and where i directed the flow towards. im running a small Macro algae

This is what i also thought Bevan, and have moved the inlet pipe around recently so as not to get a large flow of water straight into the pump for the skimmer. Still no difference though. :(

A skimmer can take a couple of hours to start skimming again after you have put your hands in the tank, give it a couple of hours, the foam level looks ok, it just needs to get back into it's groove and it should start skimming again.

A skimmer can take a couple of hours to start skimming again after you have put your hands in the tank, give it a couple of hours, the foam level looks ok, it just needs to get back into it's groove and it should start skimming again.

Thanks for the reassurance Viper, will leave it over night and see how it looks in the morning.

give the skimmer a chance, it will most definatley skim as the added boiload increases waste in the water.. keep hands out of the tank and observe.. as for the increased flow it should have no ill effect it should actually aid in getting the nasties to the skimmer more quickly....

Back
Top Bottom