Sea urchins in SA coastal waters

Reaction score
Hi All, I have a few questions for the aquarium and sea urchin enthusiasts on this forum: Are locally sourced sea urchins easy to find in SA aquarium shops? What types do you normally find? I am looking for long-spined sea urchins (diadematoids) like Diadema setosum, Diadema savignyi, and the banded sea urchin Echinothrix calamaris. As well as pencil urchins like Prionocidaris pistillaris, Plococidaris verticillata and Eucidaris metularia. Ultimately I would need to find a local source who could ship these to the US for me during the time when they have gametes. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. Appreciate it!

Reaction score
No locally collected urchins are sold in shops. It's illegal to sell locally collected livestock. So I don't think anyone will be able to ship you urchins unless they have a special permit or something.

RiaanP

Reaction score
You can find local urchins in basically any rockpool.

Trick is how to get them out, especially the long spine urchins. Well if my son could do that when he was 10 with his plastic sand shovel, I'm sure you could make a plan.

Although I would stay away from the long spine urchins. Got stung by that one so many times while cleaning the tank. We have loads of suitable short spines in our rockpools as well. But stay away from the tuxedo as it will carry all your frags away as decoration / camouflage.

Reaction score
We often get long spined sea urchins in our rock pools here. Awesome to add to the tank. Both the plain black and zebra stiped long spined sea urchins

Last edited:
Top Bottom