Right filtration system for new tank

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a jebo R470 that I want to turn into a marine tank. I would like to get some tips on what filtration system would work best.
I've looked at sumps,canister,internal filters.
I would like to do internal filter as it has cleanest design with no pipes running outside of the tank. Tank sits on a table.
Problem is I can't find enough data on internals and big enough internals to take care of most of the filtration.
I's internal filters even a viable option?

I won't be stocking the tank with a lot of load. . Want more swimming space. Few easy corals and couple of small tangs and so on.

Any advise and tips would be much appreciated.

Kind thanks
DIRK BOTES.

That is a corner tank, with round front glass. 3 underpowered 2 x 25W, 1 x 20Wlamps, not even sure if T8 or T5.

With the filtration built into the canopy.

It is not an ideal tank for corals. Even easy corals like mushrooms would not be happy under just that lights. The amount of modifications needed if too much for me.

Tank is about 250L. Will be OK for maybe a year for one or 2 tangs, maybe. But they will outgrow your tank.

Thanks RiaanP..
I got the tank from a mate. Tanks bit abused. Where can I get the filtration that's suppost to be in the canopy? Asof now there's no filtration in there. . or download schematics?
It has T8s in. What modification can I do to the lights to make the light set-up better.?

For the lights, T5 or LEDS

Leds would be better, although i think the space you got is not ideal. Led units with fans need to be about 25cm above the water. Loosing the canopy would be better.

The filtration part, it is a freshwater setup. Sponges, filter wool and ceramic rings. Completely inadequate for a marine setup. Best would be to drill the tank, fit an overflow and to use a sump underneath the table. So you can fit a skimmer in.

Is there no internal marine filters on the market. Besides Hang on filters?

Check out skimmers first. Note their height. Hang on will work on this tank, but not within the canopy.

alternative would be to check the for sale section for a more viable setup.

Decided to go freshwater with this jebo. I'll keep scanning for a proper marine tank. Which tanks would you Guys recomend?

Check out second wave dynamics...they a sponsor on here. They usually have some nice tanks available at dirt cheap prices

Well, a lot of guys start out with a Boyu TL550. It is not an ideal tank, but it is an OK system to learn how marine water works. Learning the ropes.

Better would be anything between 250L up to 500L. 10% water change on a 500L is two 25L drums. You can walk once carrying both. Above 500L and equipment prices climbs steeply. 500L is very forgivable on your mistakes, you will mess up parameters at some point. 250 also, but not as much as a 500L. 100L and less you need to keep an eye on what you are doing. Not to say it is not possible. When I really started, I set up a 90L tank. Your learning curve is just so much steeper and does not allow much movement on slip ups.

Last edited:
Have a diy 450 l system running 4 years now. it's fish only with live rock with few zoas and shrooms and inverts. More concentrated on fish. Are the red sea systems over priced and overrated compared to other same size systems?

compared to DIY, yes overpriced.
But as a complete all in one system, not a bad price.

Back
Top Bottom