Protein Skimmer for a Nano Tank

Al

Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

Im definitely converting to marine tank(FOWLR) in the next week or so:thumbup: . I went to a LFS to have a look at few things for the marine tank and came a cross the Rio Hang on Skimmer (R260).

How is this Protein Skimmer? Any advice how good this skimmer is? It say's for tank 's up to 20 Gallons. Is there a better Hang on Skimmer's and what are the price range :)

Hi Guy's,

Im definitely converting to marine tank(FOWLR) in the next week or so:thumbup: . I went to a LFS to have a look at few things for the marine tank and came a cross the Rio Hang on Skimmer (R260).

How is this Protein Skimmer? Any advice how good this skimmer is? It say's for tank 's up to 20 Gallons. Is there a better Hang on Skimmer's and what are the price range :)

What size is your tank ?

If you going Fish only you should be OK, although you need to watch your parameters closely and do regular maintenance on the skimmer or it will become a nitrate factory.

What sort of fish are you wanting to keep ?

Those Rio Hang on skimmers were recalled because they don't work....at all.

bud its not worth it in my opinion to have a skimmer on a 55L tank. You can easily do water changes and keep the params good. A 10L change a week (thats 1 bucket) is like 18% water change. I have a skimmer on my 130L but I still rely more on water changes :thumbup:

warr: I don't think its that hang on skimmers don't work but rather that model?

Thanks Guy's.

What Protein Skimmer do you suggest i get and what will the price be?

I intend to keep 2 Clowns and one Royal Gramma. I dont think in can keep more than that

Thanks Guy's.

What Protein Skimmer do you suggest i get and what will the price be?

I intend to keep 2 Clowns and one Royal Gramma. I dont think in can keep more than that

Have to agree with Matt, with that sort of bioload (3 fish), water changes will do the job.

Agreed. Grab a cheap hang on filter, remove internal parts and replace with activated carbon and purigen to keep the water nice and clean. Water changes will take care of the rest.

Al protein skimmer total waste of money for a tank your size ;) especially with only 3 fish. I adopt the "keep it simple stupid" approach to my nano :)

Thanks for all the advice.

I will keep you guy's updated on this forum. I will be giving away my Tropical fish this week and start with the marine tank soon.:)

Al are you using the same tank? If so did you ever medicate your tropicals in it?

Yes im using the same tank. I did medicate the tank way back in August 2007. I will be cleaning out the tank before converting to a marine tank.

Check if the medication contained copper (highly toxic to invertebrates). If it did there could be copper in the silicone that leaches out over time and causes problems

Back
Top Bottom