Phosphate Reactor

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Wolve, 7 May 2009.

1. Wolve

Wolve

Hi guys just got myself a reef octo phosphate reactor. want to know now for carbon do i need to get another reactor

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

good stuff

yes you will need one more for carbon

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Wolve! Have you introduced yourself in our "New Members" forum, yet?
    To answer your question: if you want to... you don't HAVE to.... you can put the AC in a filter bag in a high flow area, in your tank's sump.......

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Wolve, Fluidised reactors are a lot more efficient than bags of media in a filter flow. The carbon media only lasts about 2-3weeks in a reactor before it's efficiency deteriorates, very fast. In a bag within a trickle filter type situation one gets max 5-6 weeks.

But why do you want to run carbon in a reactor?

So, carbon a a chemical filter media needs to be added with caution.

6. Wolve

Wolve Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys. i think i need to get a canister filter for the carbon. dont have another R 1500 for another reactor. hey jacquesb i have introduced myslef and put up a few pics of my current 3 foot tank, currently getting all the stuff together for my new tank :)

@ janitor the carbon clears up the water greatly iv used it on my freshwater tanks and the results are great. and i will be using the proper ac from the waterboy

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Awesome Wolfe! Yes - a canister filter will work just as good.....

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Carbon will pull out all nutrients from your system. These include all the trace elements you are paying for in your premium salt or if you using NSW.
    The use of Carbon in FW and SW filtration are not the same especially if you plan to keep corals.
    Only use carbon (chemical filtration) to fix something that has gone wrong. Please do not use as a continuous means as you will regret in time to come. IMO

9. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

I wanted to put some carbon in my tank and after reading this thread i'm having doubts. Will it really take all the trace elements out of the water?

10. Fishy Steve

Sorry for taking over your thread but should i spend money on a Phosphate reactor if i have a canister filter doing nothing at the moment? Or does a Phosphate reactor work way better?

11. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

phos reactor works much better than a canister filter

12. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Hi guy's. IMO a high grade carbon should only be used for no more than three consecutive day's in a month. It does not distinguish between good and bad. It releases whatever it has drawn out when it is saturated (full) & can then cause greater problems.

A fluidized reactor (phosphate reactor) is designed to increase the surface area of the media and also extend its contact time with the water passing through it.

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Most reactors are fluidised so that the media gets more contact with the fluid passing through it. There are pros and con's to fluidised reactors however. My thoughts.
    1) Fluidised reactors work by the water flow through the reactor keeping the media in suspense. By doing this the media particles have a longer, more intense contact time with the water. Therefore having a better ability to extract whatever the type of impurity the media is meant for.
    2) Fluidised reactors also, due to the way they keep the media particles suspended, simmering like, tend to grind the media particles. Some very fine.
    3) media in a bag within a canister filter or trickle filter does not get the desired contact time and is very inefficient in that a lot of media goes unused.

In short. if you use a reactor it is very important to always, and regulaly clean the top sponge/strainer as it clogs very easily due to the grinding. Also the media has to be changed regularly as it becomes extremely fine and will find it's way to your tank. If you can afford, use a reactor with a strict maintenance program. If you decide on the media in a bag option, use a large bag with minimum media. What i am saying is rather have a bag with media in that looks like a pan cake than one that looks like a dumpling. You must change media regularly though.

14. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Should you not have a reactor, place the media in a stocking and run it passivley in your sump. I do it this way although I have a reactor.
    You just got to kneed the stocking daily to remove any detritus settlement.

15. Wolve

Wolve Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies guys greatly appreciated. i will just run my phosphate reactor then and put some carbon in a bag when i just need to polish up my water a bit :). thanks once again for all the replies

16. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Run AC 24/7 Wolve. Do a change every 2 weeks. Some guys change it once in a month.

17. Wolve

Wolve Thread Starter

thanks meks will give it a try and see how it works out. can always experiment a bit. i cant wait to get this tank filled up. waiting is so hard

18. Warr7207

Warr7207

I like some of these ideas, very interesting. I am going try run the tank without AC for a couple of weeks, and see the effect.

19. keyaam

keyaam

I run AC through a fluidized bed filter

20. Fishy Steve

My canister has 5 levels. So i am gonna try running 5 'pancake' shaped filter bags like janitor recommended. 3 with Phosphate media and 2 with AC. I wanna c the carbon effect on my tank.

21. aqua

aqua

Hi, I am new to this. And as you may have noticed am fascinated with phosphate. By phosphate media in a reactor, what do you mean?

Recent Posts