Opinions on filtration system

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am busy upgrading/changing my filtration and am trying to decide which would be better (currently have fish and soft corals - intend adding some LPS). The one option is as follows:
1) Over flow from display tank to sump (1st compartment containds protein skimmer, three over/under compartment filled with live rock, return pump (X2)chamber)
2) Pump 1 (100l/h) will push the water through a UV filter to a refugium containing chaeto or a similar alga. Overflow from this tank runs back to teh main display tank.
3) Pump 2 (also about 1000l/h) will pump water to a DSB. overflow from DSB runs back to the display tank.

The other option is to take all the flow from the two return pumps (one through UV) to the refugium, overflow to the DSB, and then overflow from the DSB to the main display tank.

My current system is merely a straightforward overflow to a sump (sump is as as described above in option 1) and then returned to teh display tank (one return via a UV). I keep getting minor outbreaks of cyanobacteria (NO2 sits at about 0.1, NO3 fluctuates between 0 and 5) and want to imporve the filtration on my system.

Any comments or suggestions gratefully recieved!

just check if the 1000L pump will handle the head (Behave EJ). I really like the idea of an upstream fuge and personally will split the functionality of the DSB and fuge I just think its safer and easier if you have to work on any of the compartments.

But lets see what the Pro's say.

But lets see what the Pro's say.
Here I am :whistling:

A fuge must be designed to have low flow through it in order for the pods and critters to be able to populate the fuge, it is a haven for all the critters and macro algae to breed and flourish.

Thanks Copper.

Viper the return flow that I am getting from my return pumps currently is probably only about 600-700l/h as they are currently pumping from teh sump against the same head as would be the case for the fuge and DSB. I want to use my current main display tank as a fuge (1.2X0.5X0.5) and replace it with a 2mX0.5(wide)X0.6 tank. this would meant that the water in teh fuge was being turned over twicw an hour. Is this too fast?

I think 600-700 l/h through a 4ft might be too little flow.

agree with dean the flow will be too little.i'l say nothing under 1500LPH

So essentailly I need to go for my second option which will up the flow through the fuge and the DSB to about 1200 to 1400l/H?

Ok sorry to go abit off the sub but will someone please explain what a fuge is???

A refugium is an appendage to a marine, brackish, or freshwater fish tank in which water flows in, baffles slow it down to allow a certain amount of stagnation, and flows back out into the tank. Sizes vary from as small as a shoe box to as large as an entire aquarium. Inside the semi-stagnant portion, various suppositories can be placed to allow biological filtration to take place. The items depend on the type of tank, but common items include crabs, snails, or other creatures that will break down solid waste, or certain algae or live plant species to reduce nitrate and phosphate levels. Using natural creatures is more conducive to life in the aquarium than adding chemicals, since many chemical additives produce side effects.
Refugiums often contain live rock and live sand, macroalgae, and scavenger microfauna such as micro brittle stars, tiny sea stars such as asterina, snails, and worms. To get the maximum biological filtration (through uptake of nutrients by macroalgae/mangroves), strong lighting can be used on the refugium. The refugium light cycle can be operated opposite to the main tank, in order to keep the total system pH more stable (due to the uptake of acid-forming CO2 by the refugium during its daylight hours). Some people also use refugiums to raise tiny brine or mysis shrimp for delicate fish like seahorses and dragonets.

So essentailly I need to go for my second option which will up the flow through the fuge and the DSB to about 1200 to 1400l/H?
yeah, I like the idea of the refugium overflowing into the main tank, this way you will occasionally get critters going into your main tank which will act as food for the fish.

An upstream fuge is first prize if its practical for your system, not the end of the world if it ends up below the level of the tank, many place it under the main system. Kevin gr8 to hear that you thinking of upgrading, a flow of round about 700 - 1000L ph through the fuge and DSB will be fine. Both fuge and DSB dont need high water flow.

Thanks all.
Viper are those your fuges? If so do you vary the water level in the mangrove fuge?

Kevin I am doing the same thing with my tank. Maybe you can pop by when I have it all up and running. Must make a plan to go toyour place at some stage.
PS how did you feel on friday morning after the meeting ?

Kevin, those definitely are not deans, there isn't any algae in them....

My tank is 1300 x 600 x 800x, and my return pump is pushing around 4000lph through there. If i were you, i would have nothing less than 2000 lph

My tank is 1300 x 600 x 800x, and my return pump is pushing around 4000lph through there. If i were you, i would have nothing less than 2000 lph
Is that your refugium or display tank?

Display, with the same quantity of water running through my 4ft sump/refugium.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom