No Power HELP!!!!!!

Reaction score
Help Please!!!!! my power went out last night at 9. I ran out this morning and got a genny. i think the tank will be ok im running my return, 2 turbelles, my carbon and my rs2 skimmer( not gravity fed so another 75w going to run the pump for that). everything seems to be perking up a bit and my skimmer is going ballistic. my only worry is that the tank is running at 20degrees. i can plug in the heaters cuz they will kill the genny. WHAT SHOULD I DO. and what should i do once the power is back up again.

just run the return pump and your heater. put a duvet over the tank to insulate it.

Have you called ethekwini yet to check if they know about the power outage?

Yip wizard just run your return pump and heaters, don't worry about the skimmer for now.

cool, shot for the advice. the skimmer has run for about 2 hours now, omg i have never seen it work so hard but it has started to slow down now. im going to turn evrything else off now except the return and plug in 1 heater (300w)

cool, shot for the advice. the skimmer has run for about 2 hours now, omg i have never seen it work so hard but it has started to slow down now. im going to turn evrything else off now except the return and plug in 1 heater (300w)

This would be your best bet IMO

what size genny are you running?

thanks guys for the help, the power has just come back on now after 17.5 hours. WHITESPOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my pb and 2 surgeons have white spot. the temp is at 21.8. thats a jump from 25.8 yesterday avie to 20 this am and back to 21.8 now. i am worried about bringing the temp back to 25 now. what would you recomend. everything has started to open and am already getting good pe from softies, lps and sps. checked all params and all within reasonable ranges. was turning on all my lighting without the cycle up to full a bad idea??

Bring your temp back up slowly... Leave the light cycle as it is...

btw it was a Honda ep650 rated for 450w, 550w max. i always said that if i had a serious power out i would go and get a genny. ja.... well!!! where are you going to get one a 9:30pm. i would recommend to anyone out there who has the bucks to go and get one now for standby. i woke up every hour on the hour the whole of last night to siphon water out and pour it back in to keep up the gaseous exchange and water movement. damn it was worse than waking up for my son when he was born. (at least i could clout him and tell him to go back to sleep, only kidding) the tank was suffering until about an hour or 2 after i got the genny sorted. it definitely saved lives today. the best 12hundred bucks ive spent in a while

how slow is slow, the heaters should take about 24 hours to get the temp right is that slow enough

That should be fine, BTW why did you buy such a small genny, for about 1000 more you could have got a 2.2KW one, this is what I run my tanks on.

nice and portable to go and pump water, plus i was desperate the only other one they had was 3999, didnt want to spend too much. they had a decent size piece of %@$ fragram there too but i thought i would rather get the honda. mabee i should have got the bigger one............. any one want to buy a used once genny. LOL

I know someone with the fragram it works well, he has never had any problems...

i have just found with most of the power tools that i have bought in my life that the branded and usaully more expensive ones just last longer with less hassle. Any way, thanks guys for all the advice and the support during this crisis.

I fully agree I am the same, I normally only buy the known brands...

i would recommend to anyone out there who has the bucks to go and get one now for standby.
I would agree with this 100% the power failures are only going to get worse, really dont see them improving supply for a long time.

hey EJ don't you guys want to run a MASA special on gennies?? come on pretty plz..I understand how the power grid works but don't you guys think its funny when something breaks in CPT, Randburg is without power? Happened a few months ago..

I think thats a great idea? Tell you what EJ run a special for the guys and i will confirm with other admin but maybe we can run a banner for you guys while the special is running.

Back
Top Bottom