Newbie and baking soda

Reaction score
To all the pros

I need to increase my Alk from 5 dkh to 8 dhk and tried some of the calculators suggested on the forum. The calculator suggests I need

31.5 grams, approx 6.7 tsp, or 1.1 oz

directions

Dissolve it in RO/DI or distilled water before dosing and do not dose all at once. This should be slowly dosed into your aquarium. Monitor pH while dosing. Do not allow immediate impact of pH to be more than +/-0.20.

So my question is when they say slowly I assume they mean days? How much RO water should I use? Should I try this or just buy a supplement at the LPS?

Thanks
Paul

So my question is when they say slowly I assume they mean days?
Yes, I dose in the morning, test at night, repeat the next day if necessary.
Monitor pH while dosing. Do not allow immediate impact of pH to be more than +/-0.20.
Can't do that, I don't have a ph meter :p
How much RO water should I use?
I used to mix my Alkalinity in a 2l coke bottle according to Reef Maniacs DIY recipe.

Last edited:
Do not increase dKH by more than 1dKH per day will be the best way forward, especially considering you already have corals stressing...

Assuming your calculations of 7tsp is correct, spread it over 5 days. Bear in mind, that whilst you are increasing, or attempting to, your kH will be consumed by precipitation, biotic and abiotic, as well as consumed due to biological processes involved in waste management.....

You will bnot reach target levels in 5 days if you split the 7 tsp over 5 days, which is fine, carry on going to 7 days then ;)

Thanks guys, I will try what you have mentioned.

Here is the result from the calculator, was my understanding correct? My actual water volume is 350L not size of tank calc

result.jpg

Once my kH is back to 8 dkH how to I work out how much I need to add a day to maintain the kH. Just test?

result.jpg

Last edited:
I need to do the same thing and also had some similar questions .... along with : "is Bakers Baking Powder" the right thing to use ?

Hi VicZA, so far so good for me. I have managed to keep my ALk around the 9dkh mark with baking soda. Just monitor you pH carefully. You need to use baking soda not baking powder

Hi VicZA, so far so good for me. I have managed to keep my ALk around the 9dkh mark with baking soda. Just monitor you pH carefully. You need to use baking soda not baking powder

Is baking soda Bicarbonate of Soda ?

Can you send me a pic of what you are using please.

Also, where did you find that calculator ?

cool .... I have some of that ... Royal Bicarbonate of Soda ... light blue tin .... thanks a mil guys !!

Make sure its pharmaceutical grade. If its not then you are allowing impurities into your system. If you bake it then it will not affect the ph.

Back
Top Bottom