Moving Aemone - Please help!

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Lparisi, 26 Oct 2013.

1. Lparisi

Lparisi

Hi Guys

So my anemone is new to my tank and he has decided to settle at the top of the tank against the glass and looks quite happy there, my problem is how do I do a water change with him right at the top?
    I am very reluctant to move him as it might be too stressful for him is there any other way I can get him to move on his own?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

What sort so lighting have you got and how long has your tank been running?

Can you please post a picture of the anemone.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2013
  4. Lparisi

Lparisi Thread Starter

I have the dual oddysy T5 light it is a heteractis magnifica the tank is about 3 months olf but the water parameters are good and been been constant and i do weekly water changes. I have a star fish and fire shrimp living very happily since before adding the anemone. Anemone is also not bleached mouth is closed and he is stretched out looks happy.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

IMO both lighting and water flow are important. I do not think the either are sufficient and the anemone is searching for better lighting and flow. Ritteri are not beginners anemones and should only be housed in established tanks.

6. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Nennie can be moved off the glass , using a credit card and some serious patience.

Problem is he will wonder around till he is happy and then settle

Water flow is extremely important and as @Nemos Janitor has mentioned , your lighting is maybe a problem

Most people recommend M.H for anemones

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Lparisi

Lparisi Thread Starter

thanks guys i have adjusted the flow and directed it lower and the anemone has moved down. Could i increase my lighting to 6 T5's would that be sufficient for the anemone?

8. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer

hmmm, this seems a very common case.

It seems that a reefkeeper doesn't own an anemone, but the anemone owns the reefkeeper lol not helpful at all sorry :)

9. DaVinci

DaVinci

I would also defiantly think its a lighting issue. I would have 6 T5s min for heteractis magnifica they are very light hungry nenis. If it helps at all, once you have got the sufficient lighting And want to place the neni somewhere and try get it to stay there. Where ever you place it try either build a few little rocks around it or place it in an area where it can wedge its foot and be able to retract into the rock. Iv had pretty good success with this in the past because the neni need to feel secure and safe that it can retract into a safe spot in the rocks if need be. Thus if it feels rocks around it it tends to attach there and then. Good luck :)

Recent Posts